When does Florida fire Muschamp? Apparently today.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 13, 2014.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Thats what I'm saying with odds. Easy to throw up names, but how many would you put money on?

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

That may make him look good to Florida fans, going after a big fish with big dollars, but he'll just be another coach that turns them down. Mullen should be their choice. Just getting Moo U to a competitive level is a monumental accomplishment. With the recruits Florida can pull he could be highly successful. Miles has proven that with great recruiting and capable assistants you don't have to be the smartest head coach in the world to win at a high level.

alfredeneuman, shane0911 and Bengal B like this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Will Muschamp Accepts Criticism
    ESPN SEC reporter Chris Low breaks down Florida coach Will Muschamp's job security.
    Tags: NCF, Florida Gators
    NEXT VIDEO [​IMG]
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- As criticism has mounted, Florida coach Will Muschamp says he's taking a "bunker mentality" these days. The fourth-year coach has come under fire from fans in recent weeks, and some of their barbs have hit close to home.

"Well, you've got to get home and explain to your 9-year-old why they're chanting to fire your dad," Muschamp said Monday. "That's not very fun."

The Gators have lost 10 of their past 13 games, including a 42-13 shellacking in their homecoming game against Missouri on Oct. 18 that saw fans chant "Fire Muschamp" in the third quarter before leaving the stadium in droves. Fans also booed starting quarterback Jeff Driskel on several occasions.

[​IMG]
    Rob Foldy/Getty ImagesFlorida coach Will Muschamp says he's taking a "bunker mentality" as criticism has mounted in recent weeks.
    "I told the team after the game, I said, 'As a fan, you buy a ticket, they reserve the right to boo. They buy the ticket, they can come boo and chant and holler and scream and start a website and all that stuff,'" Muschamp said. "As a coach or a player, when you come to the University of Florida or a place like this, that's something you've got to accept."

Since the Missouri game there has been widespread speculation that Muschamp will be fired. His players, however, are standing by their coach.

"We can't worry about his future or what we've got going on and how that connects to us," senior linebacker Michael Taylor said Monday. "We're just going to go out there and play. We love playing for him. He's a good coach. He's a great person.

"I wouldn't want to play for anybody else right now. That's just how I feel about it, and I'm pretty sure every other player in the locker room feels that way. So we're not really playing for his job. We're playing for ourselves. We have enough motivation."

Next up for Florida (3-3, 2-3 SEC) is the annual rivalry game with No. 9 Georgia (6-1, 4-1). Muschamp, who played for the Bulldogs in the early '90s, is 0-3 in the series as UF's coach.

Muschamp announced last week that the Gators will start true freshman Treon Harris at quarterback, replacing Driskel. On Monday, Muschamp gave his most stern criticism of Driskel, a fourth-year junior who has 12 turnovers in his past 14 quarters.

"For whatever reason we have lost some confidence, whether it's dropped passes, whether it's timing, whether it's forced throws," Muschamp said. "And we've had way too much inconsistency as far as our ball security at the quarterback position, and turnovers. And that's why we're going with Treon."

Heading into a Georgia game that many view as critically important in deciding Muschamp's future, Florida is 2-8 in its past 10 SEC games. Throughout last season, when Muschamp's Gators went 4-8, and into this season, UF athletic director Jeremy Foley has issued several statements supporting his coach. In his most recent statement one week ago, Foley said Muschamp will be evaluated as the season plays out.

"As a football coach it's a bunker mentality," Muschamp said. "It is what it is. It's what you deal with when you get in this profession."

TigerTap likes this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Teams starting to lock up coaches:

Kentucky extends Mark Stoops
    Updated: October 31, 2014, 4:49 PM ET
    By Chris Low | ESPN.com
    Mark Stoops, who has Kentucky on the cusp of a bowl berth in his second season as coach, has been awarded with a raise and extension that will take him through the 2019 season and pay him an average salary of more than $3.6 million per year.

"I want to show my commitment," Stoops said Friday. "If you know anything about myself, about my family, past history, whether it be with my brothers and different people. loyalty's a pretty big thing with us, and I certainly feel the loyalty to this program, to our players and all the people that have been so involved and helped us get to where we're at and where we're going."

Effective Nov. 1, Stoops will earn a pro-rated sum of $3 million for this season, and that figure will increase by $250,000 each season through 2019. He will earn $3.25 million in 2015, $3.5 million in 2016, $3.75 million in 2017, $4 million in 2018 and $4.25 million in 2019.

Also, as part of his incentives package over and above his salary, Stoops stands to make an additional $250,000 for each win beginning with the seventh win each season.

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Unbelievable. Les and his agent have to be smiling.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Ouch, that's a huge mistake on Kentucky's part. They will never recruit well enough to justify a $3.6 million head coach.

They could possibly sustain multiple bowl appearances much like Vandy did in their run with James Franklin, but that's about it.

7. BayouBengal014

BayouBengal014 Founding Member

Muschamp could save his job with a win over Georgia today.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

in another universe, yes

Georgia 41, Florida 13

alfredeneuman likes this.
  9. BayouBengal014

BayouBengal014 Founding Member

I give Florida defense more credit than that. I think it will be closer than that. You never know is all the I'm saying. Georgia could turn the ball over a few times.

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I don't see why with the right coach they shouldn't be able to do as good as Louisville. In fact playing in the SEC they should recruit better. The problem is if Stoops does well a few years in a row he will move to a better job and Kentucky will be back to scratch.

Bengal B likes this.