Who is on the hot seat in the SEC?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Jul 23, 2004.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Hard to say.

Holst -- hasn't delivered for Carolina. Can anybody?
    Zook -- They don't like 5-loss seasons at Florida and Spurrier is looking for a job.
    Fulmer -- Over the hill? Hasn't delivered lately.
    Shula -- Could he survive a 6- or 7-loss Bama season?

I'd probably have to go with Tuberville.

The Petrinogate affair has hurt his recruiting at the worst possible time. The administration fat-cats that run Auburn who tried to get rid of him last year are still there and there is major dissatisfaction among many Auburn fans.

2. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

I'd have to say it's neck and neck between Zook and Tuberville. I'd put my money on Tubby being gone sooner, though. Zook can lose 3 or 4 games because he does have the recruiting to point to that keeps people off his back. If Tennessee get's off to a rough start I could see them folding ala Mississippi State last couple of years. Seems like the Vols just don't have much heart at times anymore. All in all Tubby is still my pick to be out of a job though, especially if Bama has a good year. Bama outrecruited them even when they are on probation. That had to make the natives restless......

3. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Go back and look at how many of those top-flight recruits are going to qualify.....

That stellar recruiting class has been gutted and the carcass isn't pretty.

4. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

red55, under normal circumstances, I might agree with you but my opinion is that right now TT is BMOC at Auburn. He came out the hero in the Petrinogate thing and barring a total collapse of things this season, he isn't going to get fired this year. The so-called fat cats as you called them are in fact NOT there. Pres. Walker who was the "brains" behind the Petrino fiasco and AD Housel who was on the trip are no longer in their positions. Auburn's Acting Pres., Ed Richardson, was with TT in Huntsville last Tuesday night when I talked to TT. It was the first time an Auburn Pres. had ever come to an alumni dinner in Huntsville and he and TT have a love-in right now. How long it lasts remains to be seen but one thing I would bet a lot on is that TT will be Auburn's coach for at least tow more years. Pertinogate did hurt recruiting last year and bama took advantage of it in state. But as wesfau point out above that's not the big picture. Bama's class was rated higher than ours but they could only recruit 19 and I think about 5 of those will not qualify. Auburn signed 25 and all but one of those will qualify. So if the classes were ranked today I think you would see some differences in rankings compared to last Feb.

As to whi is on the hot seat I would say #1 is Holz. I have a daughter who lives in Columbia, SC near the SC campus. I can tell you their expectations are pretty high this year and if if SC doesn't have a good year, Holz will probably retire rather than get fired.

5. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

I don't have any info on that one, you might be right. I know that used to kill Dinardo. Just another reason to sing the praises of almighty Saban.....

6. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Tubbyville will not make it through this season. After they hang 50 on the first two cupcakes they play, get ready because this board will be flooded with aubbies talking bout what Caddy is gonna do to LSU and they will sound like worldbeaters once again. They will be callin for his job Sept. 19th :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, the fat cat I had in mind is Louder. You know, we really don't understand the unholy amount of influence one man seems to have on what happens at AU. And this is coming from a state that produced Huey Long. We are used to banana republic politics around our governors and legislators to be sure, but not at the university. Not like that.

What's the deal with him?

8. Proud Tiger

Two comments:
    1. The amount of influence Lowder ever had at Auburn has been greatly overblown. Don't believe half what you read. Hell if the man was able to do half what he is accused of by his detractors he is some kind of miracle man.
    2. Richardson is a strong personality and he will not be unduly pushed around by the Board of Trustese. Lowder has been almost not been heard from in awhile. Things are better at Auburn than they have been in a long time and the different faction are getting on the same sheet of music.
    3. If I had given as much money to Auburn as Lowder has, and Auburn took it, I would expect to have a little influence too. Wouldn't you?
    One question:
    1. How did this thread go from which SEC coach is on the hotseat (an interesting question) to Tubby bashing to Bobby Lowder? :grin:

9. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Too many Aubbies on this board right now for my taste.

10. Proud Tiger

If you would like for me to leave just say so.