Who is the best football player ever to attend LSU?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by john randolph, Jan 11, 2005.

1. lctiger

lctiger Founding Member

Taylor lives in BR. Jogs in my parents neighborhood. Had a stroke a few months ago but fully recovered I believe.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Taylor was one of the first 2 heroes of mine even though by the timeI knew who he was he was a Packer and I was a big Colts fan. Taylor and Johnny U were my 2 favorite football players growing up, before 10. I loved TommyTrigger Allen back then along with Sammy Grezaffi(?), what a great nickname. Nelson Stokely was a favorite with George(?) Rice, Joe Labruzzo, Pat Screen, Mike Anderson, George Bevan & Charles the great. Casanova and Jones were my all time favorites for their play as Tigers. I'll never forget the great plays both of them made, Casanova's blanketing of Tom Gatewood when we stomped Notre Dame, his 2 punt returns on national TV vs Ole Miss in the first game ever to see Oranges bombarding the field, my how LSU fans are the most creative in the world. Jones last second heroics in the famous Stop the clock game, his huodini escape vs Tulane to throw the game winning TD, his fabulous game vs Notre Dame also and the most incredible pass I ever witness vs Tulane the week after the Notre Dame blowout. He was staning at the fifty on the left sideline almost and threw a bullet to Andy Hamilton right at the right pileon for a TD. 50 yards downfield and 50 across, they don't make many arms like he had. Booger is my alltime favorite defensive player even though he I never got to see him play as much as I would have liked. Clayton will always be one of my top 5 or 6 guys for sure.

3. TigahBait

TigahBait Ultimate Tigah Fan

Two of my all time favorites include Ramsey Dardar and AJ Duhe, but I can still remember watching T Casonova with his brilliant plays in that 63 to 17 arse whipping LSU handed Ole Piss!

4. tazz603c

tazz603c Freshman

What about Michael Brooks?

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Charles Alexander actually finished 5th in the voting in 1978. He was a great back and very fun to watch.

http://www.heisman.com/winners/b-sims78.html

6. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Book by Jim Taylor.

I wish somebody would get with Jim Taylor and write a book about Jim Taylor's life.

I'd love to read about his time at LSU and with the Green Bay Packers.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

That would be great, there is even a sports author that could write it with him who has the same name. I got to know Jim Taylor when I was 14-18 pretty well. When he came to the Saints by father's new bank, Colonial Bank, hired him as their prome PR guy. We have the good fortune to have him at our home on several occasions and I can say he was alwys very good with me and all of my friends, especially when I was younger and ended up with 20 guys stopping over. You can just about piece a book together my readinf excerps by Taylor in the many books about Lombardi and the Packers.

My favorite little story about Taylor is the quote attributed to Lombardi when comparing Jimmy to Jim Brown. Lombardi said "Brown can give you a leg and take it away, Taylor gives you a leg and rams it down your throat."

8. Rex

Rex Founding Member

In terms of sheer talent,

Mike Miley

9. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

Put me in the Cassanova camp. I was 10 years old when Tommy Cassanova started playing at LSU, and he was my first sports hero. He was a big reason that I became a huge LSU fan at an early age. But not only that, man, the guy could play! I believe he single-handedly cost Joe Theisman the Heisman. And, his punt returns were just beautiful!

10. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Suprised no one mentioned Eric Martin. Don't know the answer to this but I know one thing for sure and don't see why it would not continue. Tiger Stadium is awonderful place to watch great atheletes