Why did Skip Choose Miles?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUAthletics, Jan 2, 2005.

1. LSUAthletics

LSUAthletics Founding Member

This is arguably one of LSU's most important hire's in football history. Why would Skip choose someone that's not more of a certainty to be a success? Did Skip not have better options? Did he pursue Delrio, Spurrier, etc. and none of them were interested?(Did he use every means possibly?) I have no problem with Miles as long as I felt Skip did all he could to hirer some of the big names we've been hearing about. After all, it was Skip that told us there would be some big named coaches being interviewed. If tiger fans are disappointed in Miles then Skip is partially to blame by raising expectations.

LSU's football program has never been more attractive for a prospective new head coach. It seems to me we are not taking advantage of this rare opportunity. How come the paying fans have no input in who's the new head coach? I haven't seen anyone who's overly excited with Miles. Most seem to be disappointed. Did Skip do his best? Like I said Miles may be successful but I think he has just as much chance to be unsuccessful. Why is skip taking that chance? Why take a chance for another long span of losing seasons? Does Skip not remember the way we were before Saban arrived? I just don't see a sense of urgency from Skip and the fans. It's very disappointing.

2. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Why did he hire Miles? He gives us the best chance to win this year, in the coming years, and is the best recruiter of all the candidates that we've interviewed.

3. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I trust Skip's judgement. If Miles is who we end up with then so be it... Something about the man obviously impressed LSU.

4. max

max Founding Member

Because he wanted to spend $1.5 million on a buyout and nearly two million dollars a year for a 28-20 coach. Skip should be fired if Les fails.

5. MilesFan

MilesFan Founding Member

Skip will be long retired before Les even has time to fail. Geez, your one of those glass is half empty kind of guys aren't you?

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Some of you folks obviously don't understand how a buyout clause works. LSU is not responsible for paying the buyout Miles is and you can bet TAF or some boosters will pick up the bill. LSU WILL NOT BE PAYING THE BUYOUT!!!!

7. TexanTiger

TexanTiger Founding Member

Living here in texas I get to see alot of OSU when they play the texas teams. Most Big 12 fans agree that this guy would be deadly if he had talent. OSU isnt exactly a hot place for recruits to go so he is usually playing against more talented teams each week and he does well against them. I think this guy is worth giving a chance. :lsug:

8. agdoctor

agdoctor Freshman

before the Saban announcement, I heard Chris Landry being interviewed about who would he look at as a head coach and the first name out of his mouth was Les Miles. Chris said he has the same traits that make Saban successful. Chris is highly respected around the NFL

9. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

28-21

Miles is 28 and 21 as a HC at Ok St.

he has no other HC experience (saban was HC at Toledo and Mich st

Miles was tight ends coach with the Dallas Cowboys for 2 years (saban was DC for the Browns and turned them from worst to first)

In Jan 05, LSU hires a coach with a less impressive career than coach LSU hired in Nov 99.

10. Carface

Carface What the...?

Your love keeps lifting me higher than I've ever been lifted befooooore.....