Why do you suppose....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JSracing, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

This whole thread is nothing but a flame...and very typical of your posts/threads. You can say you were referring to the present all you want, but if coaches just lived in the present, Kelly would've stayed at Cincy. The thread asks why aren't other teams after our coach, and the answer is because LSU is not Utah, Boise St., Cincy, et al.
    -
    And by the way, Rich Rod to UM is a poor example also. WVU...no matter what anyone thinks about the last few years...(ie the years Rich Rod was there)...is no UM. They are more in line with the Utahs, Boise St., and Cincys of the world.
    -
    LSU is a destination job...not a stepping stone. There is one school that Miles would consider voluntarily leaving LSU for...he considered it...and said no. Now, I fully believe there is a part of him that wishes he could've taken the UM job, but the timing wasn't good. LSU was getting ready to be playing for the :crystal:.
    -
    Saban wasn't sought after by other college teams.
    -
    Urban Meyer isn't sought after by other college teams.
    -
    Mack Brown/Bob Stoops/Jim Tressel/etc...aren't sought after by other college teams.
    -
    The reason why is because they are at their destination, at least their college destination.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I know one head coach who really is on the short list....Saban.

How tall is he anyway, 5'9" ?????
    :rofl:

3. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I agree that Miles probably wanted that job. Anyone who says LSU is his dream job over Michigan is kidding themselves. Miles didnt take the UM job because UM blew the entire process. They low balled him, they let info leak at the wrong time and some insiders loyal to Carr pushed back. If they had handled it correctly Miles would have gone Crystal or not.

While I agree with most of what you are saying that LSU is a destination spot and not a stepping stone there are more reasons why teams dont go after Miles. First and foremost is his buyout. That stops almost everyone from going after him but even more important is his reputation for being a bumbling boob with a litany of public speaking gaffes and bad game day coaching. His national perception is about as low as a coach can get. Even if the buyout wasnt in place the lineup for his services would be short. He's probably out of the Michigan picture forever too.

You are wrong about the other coaches being sought after though. Meyer was heavily probed by Notre Dame and so was Stoops. Stoops was also probed by Florida before hiring Meyer. Meyer is still ripe for the picking by Notre Dame down the road. Saban will be probed when JoPa leaves Penn State and he will look at it. I think these are rarities but they do and can happen. Destination job or not.

2 people like this.
  4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I agree with the general point of your post. LSU is a destination school for most coaches... although I do believe there are some coaches (Saban comes to mind) who's destination has no boundaries. It's a good thing for LSU and the college football world that he slipped in a job with the Dolphins before going to Alabama. He's like trying to use two sticks to pick up a snake.

One would think Tennessee would be a destination school, but obviously it's not... thinking here about snakes in general.

I'm not all that convinced that Urban is at his final destination, are you?

.... just suggesting that the landscape may have changed with the dollars getting thrown around.

As far as Miles and Michigan, I'm not sure he "considered and turned down" anything. Sure, his name would pop up anytime Michigan is mentioned, but that's more media driven than anything else. I can tell you from the few times I've visited the Michigan board (before a Hawkeye game with them), there is always talk about RR getting canned, but few mentions of Miles as the replacement.

5. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

No one gets their name mentioned for another job unless they have a WANT for it to be mentioned. That is why they have agents. That way they can send a coded message and say "I'm looking at this, see what you can do" and then can say I'm not looking for another job.

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Too many to multiquote. But I agree about Meyer and Stoops...AND FRIGGIN NOTRE DAME!!

Notre Dame is also an extremely storied program, although like most of you, and like Meyer and Stoops, I realize it isn't what it once was. Point is, it would take a very unique situation to draw a coach away from a Florida, an OU, a TX, and an LSU...to another job...voluntarily. The premise of the thread seems to be wondering why other teams aren't going after the LSU coach like they do Kelly, Peterson, Patterson, et al. And the reason is because those coaches are at stepping stone programs...AND they're good coaches.

7. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

This thread post was an observation. Posted to generate some discussion. Some of the reason these coaches might not be sought after could be more about salary not loyalty. Takes alot of grass to look greener on the other side of the fence.

BTW, I'm glad you can study my posts to the point that you have now become an expert on the "typical" jsracing post. It's flattering, if frustrating for you.

Why not spend some time studying the stock market with as much zeal, maybe you'd do better?

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Also a typical post from you. You seem to be...by your posts...very self impressed. You have no idea of my financial status. I also have none of yours...nor do I give a crap...but you sure like to tell us how well you "do".

9. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Is Miles not in the top-5 for salary? Is LSU not top 5 in wins over the last 6 years?

I don't know what your definition of big-time is, but either way your thread sucks. Terrible premise, and completely irrelevant to the football team.

So other programs don't try to hire our coach, ok? Do you want Bobby Petrino or something? What exactly is your point, doc?

As for the IQ test, let's start here...what year did you graduate from LSU?

10. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Where in the media are they talking about stealing anyone's head coach.