Why does my wife do these things!!??!!

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Luv4LSU, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Luv4LSU

Luv4LSU Founding Member

Just like everyone else, I have a hobby. I own a 55 gallon reef aquarium. Live rock, sand, coral, fish, inverts, etc. It WAS beautiful!! If any one know anything about this hobby, it's expensive!!

As some of you may know, I just moved to Denham Springs about 2 months ago. The land had it's own water well. No need to pay the city for their water ...cool! NOT COOL! I was out of town for a few days on business and my wife notices my sump pump pumping air into the tank (my sump water level was low). Instead of turning the small valve to let fresh mineral water in, she goes a fills up an empty milk jug with water out of the faucet (well water) and dumps it in the sump til it is satisfied.

I get home, hug the wife and kid, look at my fish tank and all the fish are belly up, the water is full of brown algae, and my coral have shrunk into shock! She looks at me and said, all I did was add water.

me: What water? Did you open the valve?

wife: No, I used water out of the faucet.

me: Why? Haven't we been using make-up water for the past 8 years like this?

wife: We have?

:cry::sob::cry::sob:

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

She meant well.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

how often do you have to add water?

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Maybe she's a vegan.

5. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Because she's a woman. :lol:

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Irrelevant, I know where your're going with it. Even if he had checked before he left, she should still know that IT'S SALTWATER!! :hihi:

We're not asking what the weight means on a can of motor oil? It's a salt water aquarium.....in the house. How many times has she heard him say that to friends???

Capiche??:grin:

Luv4LSU, thanks for posting, good to know I have company.

7. Luv4LSU

Luv4LSU Founding Member

Due to evaporation (I have 2 150 watt metal halide bulbs 18" above the top of the tank) I add almost a gallon of fresh water that has premixed minerals in it. I have a 5 gallon container that holds the fresh water that has a 1/4" tube out the side with a valve. When the water gets low, turn the valve and let it fill slowly in the sump to the mark a made with a Sharpie. ...simple...

I know she meant to help instead of hinder. I love her for the thought, I really do.

She really feels bad because now she can't brag to friends that come over about how hard we work at it ...when she really knows that I am the only one that does maintenance on the tank. She only decides what goes in it. Then I take care of it.

...guess I'm upgrading to a bigger tank now. Since I gotta start over and all.

8. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

See you got what you wanted anyway! You should now go kiss and thank her!

9. PhilosophyAskew

PhilosophyAskew Founding Member

I definitely feel you Luv4LSU. My wife and I just moved about 3 months ago and we've been getting lots of house decorations and furniture, most of which I have to assemble or hang. Well I asked my wife to learn and even showed her how to hang pictures, so that she can do them even when I'm not there. 2 days later when I came home, there was a hole in the sheetrock from where she missed the nail and, well you can guess the rest. They mean well, it just doesn't always work out that way. :hihi:

Edit: I suppose it's not that different from me throwing bright red, new sheets in with a load of whites, which I've done; more than once.

1 person likes this.
  10. Luv4LSU

Luv4LSU Founding Member

I know that's right! I did the same thing, but only once. My wife told me that if I ever come close to her washer and dryer again, she'll hang me by my boys!

...hmm, I should tell her the same thing ...but what do I hang her from? :grin:

LOL! I was only upset with her the 1st 5 minutes I was home. Then I took a step back and thought, If I would let anyone do this to my hobby it would have to be her! :thumb: