Why doesn't Miles get credit as a great coach with the national media?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Dec 20, 2006.

1. max

max Founding Member

With Saban, the media loved to talk about how he was a great recruiter and coach. The NFL was always after him. He won coach of the year. Everyone always talked about how well coached LSU was. They also talked about the great recruiting classes that he had starting in 2001, and how in 2005 and beyond LSU would be great when all of Saban's players were on the team.

Miles has done at least close to as well as a recruiter as what Saban started and Miles gets credit as a good recruiter. But, why doesn't anyone outside of Baton Rouge ever call Miles a great coach? Sure he hasn't won any SEC titles yet, but the guy has won at least 10 games in a 13-14 game season in 2005 and 2006. What more do people want? Everyone in the national media says LSU is the most talented team in the SEC; some say LSU is the most talented team in the nation. Why don't they say LSU is the best coached team in the nation? I hear Jamarcus and the defense and the receivers and Pelini and Fisher get credit in the national media. When is the national media gonna start giving Miles credit as a great coach? At least credit as a coach who belongs in the top ten with guys like Spurrier and Stoops. I mean, Miles had a better record than Spurrier each of the last two years so Miles is obviously a much better coach. I hope he starts getting his credit soon. What do you think?

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Saban was a great interview, smart, looked down on the media at times, kinda quick and smart alec, and they bought it. He produced, and they loved it.

Miles is not as quick with a quotable statement. He's a little slower verbally, and a little nicer guy. Nothing controversial, he's a grinder. And he will have to grind out his reputation by just keeping on winning at LSU. He'll have to win the SEC, he doesn't have that in his pedigree, championship level coach.

Is Mack Brown that much smarter the last two years than the previous 20 as head coach? Naw. But he has a championship, Dorothy! Works every time.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Saban wasn't universally acclaimed as a great coach until 2003. What did we win in 2003? Coincidence maybe?

4. zinc 83

zinc 83 Founding Member

I think you forget that that Miles received 1 vote (out of 45) for AP Coach of the Year in 2005 ... albeit a Katrina "Sympathy" vote.

JOPA reigns as AP Coach of the Year. Miles will get the respect and the AP votes for (Coach of the Year) when he wins the Big Games and gets LSU a shot at :crystal: ...Like Urban Meyer after just two years ... Urban having less talent than LSU. Urban received zero AP votes last year. How many will Urban get in 2006? :lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2266647

Again, Miles is a former Offensive Lineman ... that's as simple as one can put it when talking about Coaching Greats ... He's been beaten upside his head too much to know anything but a "Grinder's Mentality". He'll never be a Spurrier or a Meyer ... not given a million years.

Here's a quiz* for the Purp N Gold Cherubs on this site ... *Challenge to any and all Ramah-Haters.

NAME GREAT (ACCLAIMED) MODERN* CFB COACHES WHO WERE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN?

Bueller?

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Hell does anyone in the state of LA even view the guy as a great coach? Yeah there are a few of us die-hard LSU fans that know he's a great coach, but I hear more BS about this guy than anyone and quite frankly, it pisses me off. CLM can have two or three more 10+ win seasons, an SEC title (or two) and a national title (or even runner-up) and people will still be talking sh!t and comparing him to Saban.

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Winning a conf championship and especially a NC will go a long way to quieting the lack of respect. The guy doesn't come of well in the media, we have lost some big games, and haven't been a very dominating team. Miles didn't bring us out of the hole and he hasn't won any titles. His biggest accomplishment is maintaining what Saban left and beating Miami in the Peach bowl. The opinion polls favor a coach like Saban who is able to earn the media's respect with his words (and deeds). Miles only has his deeds to earn respect, because his public persona isn't near what Saban's was. He does seem like a good person from the reports on this board and in the media. The players seem to like him.

7. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Founding Member

8. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

I think it's pretty telling on how stupid our fan base is, when we are still arguing if a coach with back-to-back 10 win seasons is a good coach.

9. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Chuck Noll did ok for a former NFL guard. Anybody else got 4 superbowl rings as a head coach? Naw. Just Noll.

Position has nothing to do with it, just a certain amount of intellect, a feel for the game, an eye for talent, the ability to organize, flexibility and the capacity to move forward with the game, and more importantly, the ability to relate and communicate with PEOPLE, to know where they're coming from, SO THAT YOU CAN MOTIVATE THEM! The last section is what separates the greats from the very good.

One of the best coaches in history was John Wooden at UCLA. When I see his former college players talk about him, it is truly awe inspiring. Mention his name to Bill Walton, and you'll see a sparkle in his eye that was absent a second before, and a smile comes to his face. He's happy. He says Wooden never asked talked about winning or losing. He talked about players living up to the highest potential that was in them. He asked his players, as a responsibility to themselves, to become all that they could become. Walton said when the low key Coach Wooden finished his little talk, everyone wanted to jump out of the locker room out onto the court and perform at their highest level, and the championships kept coming.

I'm sure its not about what position you played in college. And no, I don't think o-linemen are dumber than QB's or defensive backs.

10. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

I don't think the question is whether or not he is a good coach. Its about whether or not the "Great" moniker is applicable. And I'm not sure that two 10 win seasons means its time to break out the annointing oil (thanks Coach Parcells). He needs more time in the saddle before you can attach "great" to his coaching status. I think he's a good coach. I'm just not ready to call him a great coach.