Why no Coaches' help for our QB's during the game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robinsonwrr, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Robinsonwrr

Robinsonwrr Freshman

First OC and CLM dramatically reduced play book to assist our QB's and limit the play call options. So, why is Crowton in the Pressbox? With the limited plays, shouldn't he be on the sidelines helping QB's understand what the defense is doing and how to best attack and audible to the limited plays being utilized? Put another Offensive coach in the press box to communicate with OC and Miles how the other team is defensing "down and distance" situations. Let OC work with QB's in real time. Or put the passing game coordinator working with QB's if Crowton would likely poison the situation. JJ could obviously use a steady voice and calm hand to advise him during the game - not during a film session after the game.

It's obvious Coaches could do a better job of calming JJ and explaining what defense is doing to him to help him understand "in-game" management. Sitting in the pressbox with limited play options makes little sense.

2. Jester

Jester Founding Member

Totally agree. Might also keep his piss poor attitude in check AND give the O some faith that things are being done to remedy the pathetic QB effort.

3. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

That's what headsets and sideline phones are for. Crowton is calling the plays and needs to see what the defense is doing first hand, you cannot rely on an interpretor to describe what is happening so you can call the next play.

I see people make a lot of comments about limited plays, and the playbook being scaled back. Can someone show me where a coach has said that? A playbook is a living document...plays are added and subtracted each week depending on the strengths and weaknesses of who you're playing. Just because you don't think you've seen a wide variety of plays doesn't mean they don't exist.

4. Robinsonwrr

Robinsonwrr Freshman

If we had a McElroy or a Mallet at QB I'd fully agree; but we have a young man who looks like a deer in the headlights who really does seem confused most of the time...so what good are all those plays if he can't execute them?

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's pretty unfair. Fans are throwing tantrums on message boards and talk radio. Maybe they need an attitude check.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jester

Jester Founding Member

Are you actually insinuating that JJ doesn't need to get his bad attitude in check? I've never seen a QB with such a poor attitude as his and I guarantee that affects our offensive cohesion just as much as his poor performance.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Maybe Crowton has to get the Chief coffee when he needs it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jester

Jester Founding Member

Unfair? How could it be unfair to expect your QB to act like a leader, not throw temper tantrums, not make pissy little faces and shamble over to the sideline with a giving up attitude, not yell at a berate WRs for a drop when he only manages to make 1 out of 10 balls catchable and that one is going to get the WR annihilated because its high or behind.

I expect our QB to act like a leader. Lead by example. If our entire team acted like whiny little children like JJ does, I would be embarrassed to be a Tiger fan. So, yeah, if a coach was there on the sideline to quell that self indulgent, childish BS and tell him to wipe his ass, finish his pity party and start acting like a leader, then yeah, I think it would benefit the team.

9. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

WTF? He's a Junior. Quit babying these athletes like they are in peewee football. If he can't handle the situation, sit his rear end down. If you think that having Crowton on the sidelines is going to make JJ execute better then I don't even know how to respond to that. So, basically, we have one player who is struggling and the solution is to change the way we coach? That's the problem, JJ needs some tough love....he needs to stop the childish behavior and be a leader.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

great point. If any other player on the team sucked as bad in a game as Jefferson has against Vandy and WVU, do you think they would have gotten benched?