Why Randall Should NOT Start...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EliteLSU1, Sep 19, 2004.

1. EliteLSU1

EliteLSU1 Founding Member

There is another posts on the board and this is my take

1) Randall being a 5th year senior and Jamarcus being a redshirt freshman and there dead even. Does anyone else see a problem with this? A redshirt freshman should not even be on the same field with a 5th year senior. That really doesn't say much for Randall.
    2) Jamarcus is the future and Randall is gone next year no matter how much he progresses. Why spend so much time trying to get a guy ready if he won't be here to use it?
    3) The coaching staff has no faith in Randall throwing the football. That was painfully obvious Saturday. They ran QB draws or runs to the running backs. Did anyone here see the coaching staff show any faith in Randall throwing the ball?

This is my take on the offense:
    We need to name Jamarcus the QB and take our lumps with a freshman QB. The offense has no continuity and won't as long as we continue to use 2 QB's. The West is probably lost so let's prepare for the future. The schedule plays to our favor next year so we should have a QB ready to go. No question marks at this position next year.

My take on Jamarcus:
    Needs to get in the film room and put some effort into taking over the job.

My take on Jamarcus' passing:
    I think that the coaching staff has worked so hard at teaching him to use touch when passing the football he is confused as to how to throw it to a reciever from time to time. Game situation and playing time will teach him when and how to use the touch.

Quit throwing all of the time away on a person who will not be here to help us next year. Let the recievers and QB get used to each other and be a strong suit next year and not a question mark. Take the bumps and bruises and get some experience now. If you don't get it now we will be trying to get it next year! And how many of us want to go through this again next year?

2. bigfella99

bigfella99 Founding Member

I agree with Elite's assessment of the situation. I think Saban feels that he owes it to Randall to let him compete for the job. I think we should start JR and bring in Randall when JR is really struggling and needs to be taken out.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Saban makes decisions based on who he believes can win games, not on some kind of loyalty to a player for sticking around for 5 years.

4. bigfella99

I agree, but I can't see the logic in sticking with Randall much longer. Maybe that's why I made the suggestion that loyalty could be a factor. I'm sure Nick would love for one of these guys to take the bull by the horns.

5. Carface

Carface What the...?

Okay, forgive me, things were a bit hazy. I was still half-drunk, but which QB scored us a TD? I could've sworn it was Randall.

No, seriously.

6. bigfella99

Point taken, but who bailed us out against Oregon State? Who put up the bigger numbers against Ark St? Who did the coaching staff send in the 4th quarter to attempt to rally the club? When I see Randall throw the football, I don't have much confidence that he can get it done. I'm not saying he can't play, just that I don't think he should start. When you factor in the potential upside of each QB, I don't think there is any comparison.

7. Carface

Carface What the...?

Both QBs have their strong and weak points. Seriously, I was still half drunk so feel free to correct me, but it just didn't appear to me that this was the same INT throwing Randall that played at Auburn two years ago. I was disappointed with his lack of playing time in this particular game. I want to believe that Russell is our savior as the next guy, but at this point I can't say that either QB is particularly excellent.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Nick would love it if you or I joined the team and played like Brett Favre or Dan Marino but he knows thats not going to happen. :D

9. bigfella99

Carface, I agree with you on most counts. I didn't attend the game in person, so I might have had a different view of the game. My view was on a 42" Plasma Hi-Def TV, so I'm not complaining. I thought that Randall looked a little shaky on some throws, and I've never seen him not look a bit nervous and tight. I have heard many fans were upset that Randall was taken out, but I know Saban probably had scripted the QB rotation. I thought Jamarcus looked good on the drive he led us to the FG, which was JR's first drive. Maybe the real question is why neither could score the rest of the game. I agree both QBs need some work, but I think Jamarcus will be better by the end of the season, so I'm in favor of going with him now.

I do think Randall looked very good running some of the QB draw plays, and he does certainly bring that dimension. However, with the talent outside of Bowe, Davis, Doucet, Carter, etc, I think our QBs main job is to throw them the ball. I think Jamarcus is the man for that job.

10. EliteLSU1

EliteLSU1 Founding Member

All I was saying is that MR can't help us at all next year. I think that we need to start getting the whole team on the same page with one QB. And yes Carface, MR did lead us to the only TD. He also lead us to the first fumble. In your drunken stupor, have you ever seen him carry the ball like it was a loaf of bread and fumble it? (LOL couldn't resist) MR started off 4 of 5 and finished 4 of 9. I just feel like this team is young and needs time playing together. Why learn to play together with someone who will not be here next year?

The other thing that I would do is name M. Flynn the back up and get him some meaningful playing time. If JR goes down next spring or fall then we are in the same boat all over again with no experience at QB?