Will Fans come out? Fans R not supporting this team.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Mar 2, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Ok, I know I harp on this, but MAN, can we get a packed house this weekend for the SEC MENS CHAMPIONS' (Outright) game against Ole Miss? Last game for the unsung, "silent assassin" Darrell Mitchell. A chance to show Glen Davis, Tyrus Thomas, et. al, that fans DO appreciate the way they've played this year, in getting our first outright SEC championship in 21 years, and we want them to stay in school. A chance to show the nation and our basketball recruits that the community does care about basketball. I could go on and on...

I've always said, it starts with the students and trickles outwards. It's a shame we cannot fill the PMAC for the only SEC school to ever have a mens and womens' SEC CHAMPIONSHIP team the same year. Brady and team have done all they can do. Now, LET'S GO FANS!!! PACK THE PMAC!!! :geauxtige :bball: :champs: ....

For those of you that care about statistics...

By comparison... I thought I'd take a quick sampling of fan attendance across the country. To make it at least apples to apples, I thought I'd sample only "football" schools, or at least big public schools from various conferences. The average attendance is for all games in this home season (note that most school's attendance is higher for conference schedule) and also is most likely paid attendance--not actual. This is certainly not an exact science, but here you go:

Texas: Frank Irwin (Big 12): Official Capacity: 16755. Average season attendance: 12877 (76.8% of capacity). Official sell-out to watch Texas play Kansas last weekend. :yelwink2:

Tennessee: Thomspon Boling (SEC): Official Capacity: 24535/ Average season attendance: 17954 (73% of capacity). 24108 watched UT play Kentucky on a weekday night, in their last home game. Not the best %, but the sheer volume of fans is impressive. :wink:

Florida: O'Connell Center (SEC): Official Capacity: 12000 / Average season attendance: 10852 (90.4%). And you wonder why they get the recruits? 11578 paid to watch UF defeat UGA in their last home game. Incredible %. :)

UCLA: Pauley Pavilion (PAC10): Official Capacity: 12819/ Average season attendance: 8895 (69.4%). Pretty piss poor considering it's UCLA and it's basketball and they're leading the Pac10... but L.A. is not a great sports town.:redface:

Michigan: Crisler Arena (Big 10): Official Capacity: 13751/ Average season attendance: 11123 (80.8% of capacity). Good percentage for an OK year. :wink:

LSU?: PMAC (SEC): Official Capacity: 13472 /Average season attendance: 9267 (68.8%). :redface: Of note: LSU's away game attendance? 12436. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. :mad:

Let's get out there folks! This team deserves it! :geauxtige :bball: :champs:

2. Kjunsausage

Kjunsausage Founding Member

its very pathetic. its even more pathetic that they have to give tickets away in order to pack the house.

3. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

and many snarled at me when I said we have bandwagon fans.

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

If we had bandwagon fans, it would be full right now and there would be capacity crowds at the PMAC. So, guess you were wong. :thumb:

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Right. What we have is a lack of basketball fans.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Well, it seems like the students and school should do something about this. Perhaps there needs to be a grass roots campaign on the campus to get this out. Giving away half price tickets IS kinda' pathetic, but I'd still rather see the PMAC full than not.

MAN, when we try to recruit the D.J. Augustin's of the world, we don't need our fans working against us! :angryfire Why do you think they want to go to schools in the ACC, Texas, etc., much less the Floridas, Tennessees, Kentuckys et.als? They want to go to schools where the "fans" love the basketball... too.

Pack the PMAC!!! :geauxtige :bball: :champs:

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

LSU needs to keep section 3** tickets at $5.00 a piece. Every game would be sold out then.

8. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

LSU fans seem to be supporting the women's bball program. They are 2nd in SEC attendance, only behind Tenn. The men are 8th.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

its brady's fault. he should be fired now.

10. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

in thinking about this issue.. can we blame the Chris Jacksons, Shaq's, Stro's, Bass's to put our fans in this funk... think about it.. since our run at final 4's in the mid 80's, we have had good teams that have been dismantled by the NBA. You cannot replace a Brandon Bass in May when he leaves... He said all along that he was staying and bam.. leaves them in a lurch..LSU fans like consistant winners... they will support that... the environment that we are in today with kids leaving early gives fans an excuse not to come.. It makes it more difficult for a coach to consistantly win championships and stay on top. I think in many fans minds that they get tired of kids going to the NBA that takes away from their fun...I have said all along that if the same environment of kids leaving early to the NFL in football existed, College football would have similar problems. I think on paper we had a good team coming into this year.. but the unknowns outweighed the knowns..

When stro signed... season ticket sales went through the roof... If we keep this team in tact for next year.. I think you will see a better attendance than this year as fans can latch onto players and not just LSU. You can promote defending SEC champions.. etc... with basicly the same group back.