Will Mettenberger Wait?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bandit88, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Almost posted this in recruiting, but I think its more about the current QB situation than anything else.

Two QB system seems to be working at present.

Let's suppose that the Tigers continue to make this work, both QBs continue to get better and better, and the offense remains in gear.

Let's also suppose that LSU makes a legitimate run at the SEC West and the QB play is very good throughout.

Will Mettenberger still come to LSU knowing that he's probably not going to play until his "Jr" year?

I think he does. I think he looks at yet another Top 5 LSU recruiting class, and the insane number of high quality sophomores and juniors on the roster next year, and says hell yes I'll wait a year to get two.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

He was quoted as saying:

1.) that the SEC is the best conference
    2.) that he talks to Miles at least once a week and most of the time it's between 30 min to 1 hour and they talk about football and non-football things.
    3.) that Miles has told him they have struggled at the QB position

For reason #1, what better way to get back at the team that sent you packing by signing with another program from the same conference?

For reason #2, it's sounding like this kid is really taken a liking to Miles as a person--and if you've gone through some personal problems, that goes a long way in a friendship.

For reason #3, Miles was half right....but it's his decision to STICK with the QB that's "struggling" as your starter that's the problem. ;)

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

If I'm him, I'm coming to LSU.

We have a piecework QB system that is hopefully going to work the rest of the season.

He would stand a decent shot at starting next season if he is as good as advertised.

I didn't understand the question about waiting? You mean waiting to pull the trigger on his choice to come to LSU or waiting another year before he decides?

4. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

I think Mettenberger comes in as the #1 QB even if we win the SEC this year

5. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

What are the chances that Jarrett Lee is actually a good QB now? He would be a RS senior with 5 years in the system. It sure would be nice to give Mettenberger a year on the sideline learning, coming in as a RS junior with two years to start.

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Look for his formal commitment the weekend of the Ole Miss game. Bringing in the family and staying for 2-3 days.

As with all recruiting matters, a wrench could be throw from anywhere but I am very confident that will not be the case.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If he's paying attention he sees that LSU has two average quarterbacks that have not separated themselves in three years. If he's got any stones he is eager to come here and take away the starting job. If he's afraid of Jefferson and Lee . . . he ain't the guy we need.

We need a quarterback who can't conceive of not starting.

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Excellent post. I can add nothing.

Geaux Tigers

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

100 % agreed.

We need a QB with the balls the size of er, um, Les Miles. :milesmic:

10. Celtic Tiger

Celtic Tiger Tiger Stadium West Dorm

Miles is a mentor to all his players see the articles this last week. A kid will be attracted to that.:miles::tigereye::geauxtige