Will Muschamp is the new coach of the Florida Gators

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Dec 11, 2010.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Yep, she'll be shedding gator, er, crocodile tears. :hihi:

I've got a million of em, folks.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I don't know how much of this is true, but I heard that Gruden turned down the Miami job because he wanted his brother to be named Coach in waiting, and Miami wouldn't pull the trigger.

3. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

I recommend you back off that ledge a little bit.

Saban is beginning to have a coaching tree and he is getting it the same way that Bryant and Parcells got it: being a tough SOB that no-one wants to stick with for too long. Right now, 4 coaches off of the 2002 LSU staff are head coaches. Will they all be successful? Probably not. But the reason so many coaches of the last generation (Dye, Stallings, Ford, Sherrill) claimed contact with Bryant is that he only wanted coaches to hang around for a couple of years. Saban follows that pattern. And remember, not all of Bryant's former assistants were successful; see Hallman, Curley.

Miles seems to be someone who treasure's loyalty. That means that when he gets a good assistant, they probably won't leave unless the job is too good a setup to pass up. Pelini wasn't likely to leave for anywhere but Nebraska, based on his previous experience there. I don't think Chavis ever leaves to coach somewhere else. Additionally, Miles works to make his 'fired' coaches land softly; see Peveto, Bradley Dale. In the cutthroat world of coaching, that has to count for something.

Miles' plan is working just fine at LSU. It makes the whole program develop players who want to perform, not out of fear, but out of dedication to the top man. If that weren't true, this year's team would not be 10-2 going into a winnable Cotton Bowl.

GEAUX TIGERS

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

LOL !! I gotta wake up before I post I'm kind of foggy at 5:30am....I did hear Muschamp does like to fish though.

5. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

Sorry, but I disagree with most in this thread. IMO, after looking at this and listening to the locals and nationals that arent bias to LSU or UF....this is looking like a VERY good hire. Oh, and WM was there #1 guy from the beginning. They have been on this since last December when UM announced his first retirement.

BTW...UT and UF are targeting Frank Wilson and Tommy Moffit as priority pieces to their team.

6. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Don't forget about Larry Porter at Memphis. Didn't have a great year this year, but he is a former coach under Miles that is now a head coach.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I said it earlier in this thread I think, but that last part deserves its own thread. Tommy Moffit could be replaced, it would be a blow, but there is absolutely no way in hell we can afford to lose Frank Wilson. Pay the man more than what Florida is offering, he MUST stay in Baton Rouge.

8. FirstCoastTiger

FirstCoastTiger FirstCoastTiger

Bargain Buy or is FL saving $ for their "REAL" next head coach?

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- A person with knowledge of Florida coach Will Muschamp's new contract says he has agreed to a five-year deal worth $13.5 million.

Muschamp's annual salary of $2.7 million is triple what he made as defensive coordinator at Texas, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the contract has not been made public.