Without a safety commit, do you think Miles will go after Oduegwu and Coffman?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by max, Jan 15, 2005.

1. max

max Founding Member

Oduegwu committed to LSU a while back only to find out that Saban had withdrawn the offer because of Oduegwu's lack of height. At the time we had Keys, Ward, and looked good for Harris. Oduegwu committed to Texas Tech but is taking visits and he has said recently that he is looking at LSU. Both services have him rated at 4 stars, which is impressive. His only drawback is that he is 5-10 but there are many great short safeties in the NFL like Mike Brown, Mike Minter, rookie Bob Sanders. I hope Miles will offer him. I think he would accept.

Gremon Coffman is one of the top Oklahoma State commitments. He is taking visits and has said he would look at LSU if he was approached by Miles' people. Scout has him rated with 4 stars.

How would y'all feel about offering these two safeties at this point?

P.S.: This Powe commitment is great for Miles' image but has little substance. He said after that he basically wanted to commit to someone to get on TV so he committed to us, but it could change. Even if he does sign, he will go to JUCO for two years and then he could change his mind again. The commitment is good because it affects our recruiting image and rankings but it does little for our team unless he actually comes here in a couple of years. To me our #1 need is Perrilloux. People say OL, but we are stocked there. We are even good after this year. QB is the one position that could potentially hold us back and Perrilloux is the only QB interested in us who could come in and battle for this job.

2. philter

philter Founding Member

What about Anthony Barnes? He's committed to GT, but Miles got a visit out of him. He could project as a S...let's hope Miles and LSU make an impression on him.

http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=24987

I have no problem with Coffman, other than Miles recruiting him from his old team. That is kinda shotty if you ask me, but all is fair in recruiting these days I guess. If he is good enough for OU, he must have talent...I have not had a chance to see him at all.

Haven't seen Ishie either, but he fills a need for us. I trust Miles to offer good players.

3. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

We've already signed one this year, Chris Hawkins, and we signed two last year so I don't think its out greatest need, especially with two underclassmen starting there for us. I like the sound of this Barnes kid though, wouldn't mind adding him into the mix.

4. Perple

Perple Founding Member

I hope Les Miles gives both Gremon Coffman & Ishie Oduegwu a call. Coffman has decommitted from OSU, & was scheduled to visit A&M last weekend, maybe he will take a visit to LSU. Ishie hits harder than some 6' 2" Safeties, and deserves his high ranking IMO. Apparently there was a problem between Saban and the Ryan HS, (TX) coach. Maybe Les has a chance.

5. philter

philter Founding Member

Things have cleard up a bit since this post first came out. Coffman was contacted by Miles a while back. He was offered and is going to visit 1/21, and back at the first of the month he said he would follow Miles to LSU if he offered so we'll see.

Ishie called up to commit to LSU a long time ago, but was told his ship was no longer there because of who had verballed to us. Now that the spot is open again (for now..we'll see on Keys), he may be interested again. I saw his videos, and he does lay the wood big time.

The big question is what will happen with Keys. Many people still think he will be a Tiger come signing day. His visit (which Miles got back) is on 1/28 and it ends just as dead period comes into play.

6. loco4lsu

loco4lsu Freshman

Here are some quotes from Ishie Oduegwu today. Sounds like we still have a good shot because of his relationship with Coach Miles.

“Coach Miles and Mallory had been recruiting me since they saw one of my games back when they were still at Oklahoma State. And, when they went to LSU it didn't surprise me that they came back and started recruiting me all over again. So, I'm going to take an official visit to LSU this weekend (1/21)."

A final decision will probably not come until the Tiger coaches make their in-home next week.

"Yeah, it'll probably be a week after my LSU visit," Oduegwu said. "That'll give me some time to think about it."

Asked who is leading right now, the Denton Ryan 4-star DB said, "It's even between LSU and Texas Tech and Oklahoma State is still in it. But I would say that I'm leaning toward Texas Tech right now.”

7. philter

philter Founding Member

Some other news, apparently Miles is not recruiting Nic Harris. Either because of his evaluation of him or because he perceives no chance to get him to LSU...whatever the reason, that leaves his ship up for grabs. Ishie and Coffman may be in play if Keys doesn't switch back. If Keys comes back, as many think he will, then Miles may choose between the two. If I had to choose off what I've seen, it would be Ishie - he hits people HARD.

Coffman's video is short (2 plays)..and doesn't show much. Glad I don't have to make the decision because I don't have enough information to make a fully informed one!

8. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Possible 3rd scenario?

Chris Hawkins - CB

Ishie Oduegwu -Safety

Gremon Coffman -Safety

Chris Keys - LBer? Don't know if the rumors are true about his weight, but have heard he is up to 220-225.

9. philter

philter Founding Member

I hear RJ Jackson would be a top 10 CB if he were to play that side..and he's not opposed to it from his updates.

RJJ @ CB
    Hawkins @ CB/S
    Ishie/Coffman S
    Keys S/LB

Versatile group there..