WOW....and Xavier Cater proves his speed AGAIN

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by j0nathanr0y, Mar 15, 2004.

1. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

Palm Bay star national leader in 200 meters

BY BARBARA CAYWOOD
    FLORIDA TODAY

Palm Bay High sprint star Xavier Carter became the first-ever high school athlete to run a sub-21 seconds indoors in the 200-meter dash Sunday.

And then he fell down.

"I couldn't slow down that fast," Carter said after speeding to a national record-shattering 20.69 seconds at the National Scholastic Indoor Championships at the New York Armory. "I felt faster today than I had ever felt in a race."

It's no wonder. Starting out of lane five, the LSU football recruit blew away his closest competitor from the get-go and glided home all alone with the record time.

The previous indoors record was 21.02 seconds, set by Brendan Christian of Austin, Texas in 2001.

Carter came close to that mark when he ran 21.04 at the Florida Fastest Times meet last week. He headed to New York with the stated intention of making the record his own.

Despite the feat, the highlight of the trip for Carter was the purchase of two pairs of hard-to-get Nike Air Force One shoes -- one red and white, the other black and white.

"He earned them," said his father, Ken.

With the indoor record on his resume, Carter now has set his sights on the outdoor 200-meter mark of 20.13, set by Roy Martin of Dallas in 1985.

"I want to try to run 20-low outdoors," he said.

That quest will start this weekend at the Bob Hayes Invitational in Jacksonville and next weekend at the LSU Tiger Relays in Baton Rouge.

Contact Caywood at 242-3684 or [email protected]

He said in an article last week he thought he could run under 20 by the end of the track season. His time in the 200 is better than any high schooler or college student in the country so far this year. At least thats what it said in the same article last week.

2. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Anyone know what time he runs in BR next week?

3. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

This may seem like a small thing to get excited over, considering this kid's talent...but isn't it a breath of fresh air to get a kid who gets all fired up over his Dad getting him a couple of new pairs of track shoes? I mean as opposed to the Willie Williams and Lester Earl's of the world, who really have their hands out? I can't really put my finger on it, but it gives me a good feeling about the kid's character.

4. BB

BB Founding Member

If you find out, please post as I will make it a point to attend...

5. friday

friday Founding Member

spped is great...

but hopefully the kid can catch a football.

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Yes everyone has seen track stars that can't take it to the football field and have similar success. This kid is said to have much more football skills than your normal track star. Hopefully he is everthing the so called experts say he is because with that kind of speed if you can indeed catch the ball consistantly you are a major threat on every play. :geaux: :lsug: :champs:

7. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Agreed! :D

10. philter

philter Founding Member

Everytime I see those numbers it makes me think how amazing Michael Johnson is...and he annihilated the record at the Olympic games. What a stud.