Your best Dale Brown era game!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerball, Dec 17, 2005.

1. tigerball

tigerball Founding Member

With basketball season getting into full swing, for those who actually remember, what were your best Dale Brown team moments. From Loyola Marymount to Oklahoma and the early KY wins, you have to have a moment to remember.
    I have a few, one stand out is Anthony Wilson picking up a rebound off the floor and somehow getting it off at the buzzer to beat Purdue to advance in the NCAA's.
    Others to follow.:lsup:

2. clair

clair Rockets

I was too young to remember any, but I remember going to a game when Shaq played, and wow... that was LOUUUUUUUUD... there was quite a buzz on campus for those guys

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

The best game suring Brown's era I went to was the LSU vs Kentucky home game. It was during Mardi Gras, LSU was up by 31, the place was electric! That was my first taste of how great the atmosphere in the PMAC can be. My dad & I had a blast!

.......but LSU blew the 31 pt. lead and lost the game.

4. Tiger1958

Tiger1958 Founding Member

Kentucty game stand out in my mind. That game turned the baskeball program at LSU around.

The most fun game to watch may be the Loyola Marymount game. C. Jackson bombed away with that dude from Loyola the whole game. The dude was all pro at the next level. There was no coaching in that game, just pure shooting, mano to mano, and LSU won.

5. Victory4LSU

Victory4LSU Founding Member

The okie game at uno, the perdue game, gtown with blanton doing his thing and oh so many more. I can't really pick one single game. The Dale Brown era was one of the finest of any LSU sport. Never will that kind of spirit fill the PMAC!

6. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

There was a series of games, with Ricky Blanton playing center, led us to the final four. I think Ricky was in there cause the regular center was hurt. Lot of talk on TV about the "freak defense". Ethan Martin was probably at point guard. Was Blanton a freshman that year? Pretty exciting stuff.

7. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

The run in '86. LSU beat Purdue in 3 OT's then I skipped my 1001 Environmental Science class to wait for tickets for Memphis St. Brown throwing up the buzzer beater to win. The roof came off and it stayed that way for 30 minutes after the game was over.

LSU having home court advantage that year is why the NCAA now tries not to have a team playing on it's home floor. Lot's of complaints since LSU was a middle pack top 20 team and Purdue and Memphis State had to travel but the NCAA knew fans would pack the Assembly Center. Then they beat Ga Tech ON THEIR FLOOR...many people considered Tech to be the best in the country.

8. tigerball

tigerball Founding Member

Front row Lunatics!
    I think that Ethan was gone when Blanton arrived. But those years with Scales and Cook, Rudy - and Willy Sims, oh - and the two Greenes were fun with all the hustle.:lsup:

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Who was the older guy that used to run around at the games? Seems like he sat in the student section, but he was an older guy.

10. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

It has to be the 1986 Regional Final against top-seeded Kentucky that sent LSU to the Final Four. LSU was seeded 11th and the team was decimated with injury, chickenpox, and defections (Tito Horford). But Brown systematically set about beating Purdue, Memphis State, and Georgia Tech. Then came Kentucky who had already beat LSU three times that season. Dale put in the Freak D and LSU won a stunner 59-57. I'll never forget Rickey Blanton running down the court pumping his fist after putting in the go-ahead basket. If I'm not mistaken those teams were seeded 1, 2, 3, & 6 in the SE Regional.