Alabama at LSU Preview

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BamaMatt, Jan 6, 2004.

1. BamaMatt

BamaMatt Founding Member

I wrote this preview from a Bama fans perspective on how Bama can win at LSU. Please feel free to give your thoughts but keep in mind it is only MY OPINION. :D

Alabama at LSU

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

with your personell, the only real chance you have is for people get hot from outside. lsu rebounds too well on defensive glass. i'm interested in seeing how koundja does against winston. to me thats the key matchup. your guards may have success against whipple and the undersized mitchell and minor. but brady will play zone in a heartbeat to stop that.

on D, its no secret that bama needs to collapse on post players and make lsu hit outside shots. they fell ok against arkansas, but its still lsus achilles heel.

3. BamaMatt

BamaMatt Founding Member

If we can contain Lloreda and Bass, then have a good shooting night I like our chances. Containing Lloreda and Bass will be the biggest test though.

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I dont think its possible to contain them both. It seems one of them will break 20 points every night. I really liked what I saw in the perimiter game last night....sometimes. Other times we looked rushed and jittery. I saw a ton of bad decisions last night, and I think if we do that against a team that is shooting well, it may cost us. I know we do have some shooters, but man Minor makes me nervous everytime he has the ball. We also have to improve on the boards, on both ends of the floor. I dont know, sometimes I think this team looks like a top 10 team, other times like a 1st round loser in the NIT.

5. DJ

DJ Founding Member

I don't know that much about Bama's team this year, but if Bass starts to hit the 10-15 foot jumper with any consistency, it will be difficult to shut down Lloreda and while also keeping Bass from tearing you up in the paint.

Although he has a ways to go, I think Minor has improved tremendously. He was a major liability both offensively and defensively at the start of the season. However, in the last few games, he has settled down a lot and is now contributing both offensively and defensively. If he ever reaches the point where his decision making skills equal his quickness, he will be one of the best guards in the SEC.

6. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

lol i think the Alabama women's team could beat LSU if Bass & Lloreda were both contained and your women shot lights out

good luck with that

7. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Minor has lots of skills and is slowly starting to make progress. I see a little Chris Jackson in him ... if he gets hot he can take a game over. Unfortunately, his defense is killing us and is the reason why he sat the bench most of the 2nd half. The good news is, he'll only get better!

I still say Hudson is the key to this team this year. We need him on the floor for leadership and defense, but he can't throw the ball in the ocean these days. You can see he lacks confidence now, as he passed up several good looks from 3 point land.

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

BamaMatt,

That was a pretty decent preview but you left out a huge factor in the game, Brandon Bass. The way he played last night at Arky shows that we don't have to have a huge game from Lloreda to win. Lloreda was consistently double teamed and most of the time he passed out of it instead of taking it head on. He was really shut down if you consider that 4 of his points he had no business scoring. One on the charge that was not called and the other the 17 foot jumper from the top of the key. Other than those baskets he was shut down. But we still won because other players on the team stepped up.

Brandon Bass played a great game and if he can start finishing consistently from 4 feet and in he will be unstoppable. His 15 foot jumper is solid and he can aslo make the power move to the basket.

The thing holding this team back is the perimeter play. Our guards don't seem to be able to get the ball to our post players in positions where they can score easily. They did make some clutch shots last night but I would rather have them pound the ball into Bass and Lloreda.

A side note about last night's game, the player that fouled D. Mitchell from behind on the fast break dunk should have been given a different foul (T or intentional) on top of the personal. Trying to make plays like that is the way players get seriously hurt. The ball was through the basket when the other player slammed into Mitchell. But the Tigers play a good game and any win on the road is a good win.