Arctic ice cap has grown 60% since August of 2012

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUDeek, Sep 8, 2013.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415191/Global-cooling-Arctic-ice-caps-grows-60-global-warming-predictions.html

I'm stunned. Truly stunned

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Global warming has always been political bs. The weather forecasters can't get a 10 day forecast right let Lone a hundred year.

GregLSU likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

4. red55

Why? I am told that you are smart enough, negroid. :D

The global temperature curves are not smooth and fluctuations are natural. One can cherrypick a short interval and make projections that are entirely invalid and people do so all the time. What is important in climate change are trends over longer intervals and the rate of change in those intervals.

[​IMG]

5. gyver

Those age long trends have included ice caps as fat south as Mexico and having totally disappeared in the arctic. Global warming is bs. 1970's. global cooling. 2000's global warming. All it is is some scientists found another way to fool a bunch of politicians so they can get some research money from taxpayers.

6. red55

Political rhetoric from Rush Limbaugh. Really, really stupid shit. Have you no self respect?

Come up with some actual scientific evidence or I'm not wasting time on you.

7. gyver

What we do know is human CO2 emissions at their worst cannot approach the levels of natural GHG release, even events that did not trigger mass extinctions (see “Could Human CO2 Emissions Cause Another PETM?”). But what about the often mentioned link between CO2 and temperature? “In a nutshell, theoretical models cannot explain what we observe in the geological record,” says Rice University Oceanographer Gerald Dickens, “There appears to be something fundamentally wrong with the way temperature and carbon are linked in climate models.”

Interesting reading here.
    http://theresilientearth.com/?q=content/grand-view-4-billion-years-climate-change

8. red55

I asked for scientific evidence, not a political blogger on a conservative website known for its psuedo science. It appears on his own website, not in a scientific journal. Amigo, Doug L. Hoffman is not a scientist and has never authored a single scientific paper in a single scientific journal. In fact, here is what Wikipedia has to say about him

"businessman, accountant and former congressional candidate. He was the Conservative Party candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives in the 2009 special election for New York's 23rd congressional district. On November 3, 2009, he was defeated by Democratic candidate Bill Owens. Hoffman ran for the same seat in Congress in 2010, but lost the Republican primary and withdrew his candidacy. Hoffman's 2009 campaign received extensive support from the Tea Party movement and gained national attention."​

Those aren't scientific credentials, they are political credentials.

His evidence is a hodgepodge of stating the obvious mixed with claims he cannot prove. His citations are laughable. His idea that AGW cannot cause an event similar to the PETM is not proved. Plus its apples and oranges. The huge difference is that the PETM was accompanied by a catastrophic event such as a supervolcano eruption or a large meteor strike. It caused global warming mass extinctions but it was accompanied by a signature spike associated with catastrophic events. However many true scientists are studying the PETM precisely because it offers insights into our current warming situation.

AGW is significant because of the rapid pace of change but no one has ever suggested that it could ever match the immediate changes brought on by a catastrophic event. It is irrelevant. The problems associated with AGW can cause problems enough for us. Sea level rise is the biggest followed by rapidly changing climate patterns.

Well, your link doesn't work so we can't put that quote into context. Jerry Dickens is a geoscientist and a damn good one. The major thrust of his published research involves his studies of how methane also causes global warming. But his 2011 paper studied carbonaceous geologic deposits associated with the PETA. The conclusion of his abstract states:

"We suggest that over ~6 million years, there was a series of short-term climate perturbations, each characterized by massive carbon input and greater continental weathering. The suspected link involves global warming and enhanced seasonality in precipitation. We are evaluating this model further by identifying hyperthermal events in DSDP sites from the Indian Ocean, and assessing whether they are related to carbonate dissolution or siliciclastic dilution."​

No debunking of AGW there.

Did you really find that interesting? Geez . . . more psuedo science from the politician's own website. Same pattern . . . stating the obvious, followed by invalid assessments based on guesswork, and conclusions that are irrelevant to the issue.

Cowboy, you're bringing rocks to a gunfight.

LSUsupaFan likes this.
  9. gyver

Sounds more like al gore bullshit to me. You want to criticize everyone else yet your dumb enough to still regurgitate not only Obamas crap but al gore. These scientists will fabricate or twist any "scientific evidence" they can in order to keep the taxpayer and special interest money flowing.

10. red55

Another political response to a scientific question. I don't argue the politics of global warming. I defend the science of it.

Fail. I have never once quoted Al Gore here, nor cited him because I don't like him and he's not a scientist either. I cite science here, not politicians. I don't criticize people here either, I criticize their ideas.

And I'm not as dumb as you imagine.

Ignorance of how the science and research business works is not my problem. You couldn't offer a shred of evidence to support this notion to save your life.