Clausen

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MaconGATiger, Nov 16, 2002.

1. MaconGATiger

MaconGATiger Founding Member

After an absolutely BRUTAL Saturday evening in front of the TV all I can say is what the hell! What do we have to lose by letting this guy start the Ole Miss game. Randall is just not capable of leading this team and working with this receiver corps. USC was a fluke and I don't even need to talk about UK! Thankful for the W's don't get me wrong, but you know. I love LSU as everyone on this forum does and I will cheer for them with 0 victories or 13 (preferably 13) but no more excuses about more time for Randall. At this point, that's a luxury we don't have. He is not an option under pressure and he is not going to get us to the SECCG. We are more than capable of winning out but something's got to give. There are many of you who will criticize this post as negative and say that I am a fairweather fan and all that crap. Truth is, it's honesty and I'm interested in hearing all critiques, opinions, and better options, etc. As always, loving the Tigers, just want to see them achieve their full potential!

2. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I'm with you...Clausen deserves a chance. Randall makes too many bad decisions. Mauck did at first, too...but he started coming around. Randall seems to start over with each game. Clausen looked calm and had crisp passes...what few there were of them.

Just keep thinking...Robert Lane (maybe...if MLB will leave him alone) and Matt Flynn are coming...we will have some good QB's. This is a rebuilding year anyway...I'd say we've done well considering that.

3. roygu

roygu Founding Member

IMO, if Clausen and Harrison are worse than Randall then someone else better start evaluating recruits. I understand why Randall was signed. We were desperate for a QB because Booty, Nall, and Davey were all in the same class. If I were a high school QB with the reputation of Lane, Russell, or the kid from Texas, I would pay my expenses to Baton Rouge because there is an opportunity awaiting a leader to lead us to the promise land. I only wish one of those QB recurits were graduating early and would attend spring practice. What happens if our stater is injured again next year. Are we going to repeat this frustration??

4. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I think it is time for Clausen to get a shot. I also think that next year Lester Ricard will be at least splitting time next year as the starter with Mauck.

5. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I don't know if it's true, but on a sports-talk show here in Knoxville this week, a caller said that he heard from "a reliable source" (for whatever that's worth) that whoever gets JaMarcus Russell will also get a visit from the NCAA...ala Albert Means.

And Russell is a good buddy of Tee Martin, from what I've been told.

Tennessee wants him badly, though. If any of those rumors are true, they can have him. I don't want to be in Alabama's class...or lack thereof.

6. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

well from what i heard Clausen can't take a snap under the center at practice. Saban even pulled him from practice cause he kept botching the snap! That's why he was in the shotgun last night. Clausen also needs to put on some weight this off season. He's about 175 pounds and should put on about at least 15 more pounds. I admit, Clause impressed me last night, he made some nice throws. But people, he only threw 6 passes, and completed 3 (should have been 4 Toe dropped a catchable pass). When he got pressured, he made a smart play and threw the ball away, but then he got pressured again and he lost us about 15 yards, he was rolled up. I don't think Clausen is our future but he could be helpful during the rest of the season.

7. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Hey Tony the future is now. LOL If Clausen can complete 33%of his third down passes then he can salvage a great season and we can let Mauck, Ricard, Lane, and Flynn worry about the future.

In regards to the post regarding the recruitment of Russell, in the minds of Vol fans, anyone that turns down UT and signs with another school can only have been influenced by Money. I have lived in the State of Tennessee for about thirty five years and that is always the excuse when they lose a recruit. I also remember when Reggie White left Tennessee. He told the world, in a taped interview, that he had been bought by UT. R W said, as a Minister, his conscious was bothering him and he wanted to set the record straight. I sat and watched the tape on the evening news in Chattanooga when the confession was made. I think the sports reporter lost the tape. ;) ;) I don't know if it was positive or negative reenforcement that caused the tape to disappear.

8. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Hey Ten & Roy. I agree. I travel between Maryville & Chattanooga a lot. (My son attended Maryville High & is now at UT-Chatt). UT fans are simply fans. UT is it for them. Well, probably like LSU fans, but tend to have blinders. I think they're still pissed that Spurrier went to Florida instead of UT. Anyway, let's hope that our QB situation improves. Is it possible that Randall has a flaw in his mechanics, that causes the missed passses whebn he gets pressured or nervous? Did we get spoiled with Booty & Davey?

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

We should be fine at QB....

next year. With Mauck, Clausen, Flynn (?), L. Ricard, and Robert Lane it seems like we should be set. Even if Lane doesn't end up playing, I'd feel comfortable with Mauck as the starter next year with big time (unproven) talent behind him. Ricard was a top 5 QB recruit (top 10 other sources) although I know little about him. Flynn is high on a lot of people's lists. Still, it would be nice to have Lane come in and provide stability to the position. Is he really as good as everyone makes him out to be? What about Ricard? I've never seen such a highly recruited player (Ricard) rarely mentioned. Maybe because he committed so early and is redshirting this year but what about his future?

10. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

Re: We should be fine at QB....

I don't know anything about either of those guys! R. Lane has been putting up pretty good stats his senior year though. I haven't even seen L. Ricard on the field warming up with the QBs. I know he's kind of a smaller guy (maybe 6'1 195 pounds) is he a scrambling QB or pocket QB ?