Dandy Don

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by fokrab, Nov 17, 2005.

1. fokrab

fokrab Founding Member

I loved his Ole Miss "greatest moments" on Wednesday. Though I was at the 1972 game and there is no way Bert Jones was in the shotgun formation. Unless I'm losing it, I can't recall Cholly Mac ever using the shotgun. Not sure if the formation was ever used in his day (retired 1979).

Anyone else remember ? Probably not, everyone here is half my age

:eek:lefire:

2. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

Obviously I'm more than half your age. But I can't remember what I had for lunch today much less what formation we were in playing Ole Piss in 1972. Sorry.:hihi:

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Someone told me that TigerDroppings had that last drive on their site last week. Go check it out and fill us in.

4. fokrab

fokrab Founding Member

The last 3 minutes were awesome. Check out Tiger droppings forum. John Ferguson was soooo good. He said during the last drive repeatedly, from the I. On the winning play he said Jones drops back to pass. No way was the shotgun being used.

Everyone should listen. Super play and super play calling

5. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Bert Jones was NOT in shotgun formation. Back in college Bert had a very, very unique way of backing up for a right handed quarteback. He would drop back facing left with his back to the right side & his right foot closer to the line of scrimmage. He would then swing facing forward & finally ended in the traditional stance for a right hander with his body facing right & his left foot closer to the line of scrimmage. He would do this very quickly & effortlessly, albeit unique. He definitely dropped back this way on that play & then fired across his body to the left flats after the gun sounded. Brad Davis had turned back facing Bert, caught the ball as he fell back over the goal line.:)

6. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Or go here...
    http://media.putfile.com/1972-LSUOle-Miss

7. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

Has anyone ever seen a video clip of any of this?

8. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I can only remember one time when Mac used the shotgun although I think he may have used it with David Woodley. I think it was in 1965 when we played Bama and Pat Screen was QB. The game was in BR and on national tv. Joe Namath was qb at Bama but he was injured and didn't play. We were totally outmanned that day and Screen threw for a record number of attempts out of the shotgun. Without going back and checking, I think the final score was something like 37-7, Bama.