DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Maderan, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Rece@2022

Rece@2022 Founding Member

I am a Tiger fan who lives in Oklahoma city and they think Bo Pellini is going to take it b/c who wants to be co-defensive coordinater. He wants to run the defense show. We know Miles is the offensive guy and would let Bo call all of the plays. OU defense last year wasn't bad, but how much of Stoops caused the problems in the big games. Bo in Nebraska his last year had an excellent defense (9-3). I like Campo though (also a Cowboy fan). Campo was one of the architects of the dominant defense of the 90's.

Geaux Tigers

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

2004 Oklahoma - Co-Defensive Coor./ Defensive Backs Coach
    Nov. 30, 2003-Jan. 12, 2004 - Nebraska Interim Head Coach
    2003 Nebraska - Defensive Coordinator
    2000-2002 Green Bay Packers - Assistant Coach and Linebackers Coach
    1997-1999 New England Patriots - Assistant Coach and Linebackers Coach
    1994-1996 San Francisco 49ers - Assistant Coach/Defensive Backs Coach
    1993 Cardinal Mooney HS (Youngstown, Ohio) - Assistant Coach and Quarterbacks Coach
    1991 Iowa - Graduate Assistant and Receivers Coach

Because he is CO-DC at Okie

3. BB

BB Founding Member

I still can't understand why anyone thinks any of these candidates measure up to Dave Campo, but here is OU's bio on Pelini. Campo would be one of the best coordinator hires in the last few years in all of college football IMO.

As for this comment, I would say that WM didn't have a month to prepare. That OU defense got smoked so badly that I'm still checking my mailbox for an apology letter from Bob Stoops for having to watch that whole debacle. I don't think it's fair to compare our defensive woes against UGA to OU's defensive performance in the Orange Bowl - it would make more sense to compare the OU Orange Bowl Defense to the Hiroshima victims. For the rest of my life, when I think of ass whippings I will think about that OU defense...

Either way, Campo is the better hire if possible...

Didn't Pelini coach Trev Alberts? Trev was a great college player before stealing millions from the Colts.

Courtesy: SoonerSports.com
    Release: 04/05/2004

The Bo Pelini File

Birthdate: December 13, 1967
    Hometown: Youngstown, Ohio
    High School: Cardinal Mooney, 1986
    College: Ohio State, 1990
    Family: wife, Mary Pat
    son, Patrick; daughters, Kathryn and Caralyn

Coaching History

2004 Oklahoma - Co-Defensive Coor./ Defensive Backs Coach
    Nov. 30, 2003-Jan. 12, 2004 - Nebraska Interim Head Coach
    2003 Nebraska - Defensive Coordinator
    2000-2002 Green Bay Packers - Assistant Coach and Linebackers Coach
    1997-1999 New England Patriots - Assistant Coach and Linebackers Coach
    1994-1996 San Francisco 49ers - Assistant Coach/Defensive Backs Coach
    1993 Cardinal Mooney HS (Youngstown, Ohio) - Assistant Coach and Quarterbacks Coach
    1991 Iowa - Graduate Assistant and Receivers Coach

Bowl Games as a Coach (2)

2004 Alamo (Nebraska), 1991 Holiday (Iowa)

Bowl Games as a Player (2)

Jan. 1990 Hall of Fame (Ohio State), Dec. 1990 Liberty (Ohio State)

Coaching Accomplishments

* In January 2004, Pelini led Nebraska to a 17-3 victory over Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl.

* In 2003, Pelini's Blackshirts forced 47 turnovers, which tied the Nebraska season record set during the 1971 national championship run. Their takeaway total ranked No. 2 in the nation and allowed Nebraska to lead the nation in turnover margin at +1.77 per game.

* Pelini guided a defense that pitched a pair of shutouts, the first time Nebraska had two shutouts in the same season since 1999. Nebraska ranked in the top 15 nationally in four of five major defensive statistical categories, including No. 1 in pass efficiency defense (88.66 rating), No. 2 in scoring defense (14.5 ppg), No. 11 in passing yards allowed (177.8 ypg) and No. 11 in total defense (297.2 ypg).

* In 2003, Pelini's unit held eight opponents to less than 100 yards rushing and seven to less than 250 yards of total offense.

* In 2002, as linebackers coach of the Packers, Green Bay ranked fourth in pass defense among all NFL teams, allowing 188.4 yards per game. In three years with the team, the Packers posted a 33-15 regular season record. In 2001, Green Bay advanced to the second round of the playoffs, and in 2002 the Packers qualified for the playoffs a third consecutive year.

* Pelini coached the linebackers for the New England Patriots under Pete Carroll. Pelini held that position from 1997 to 1999. His efforts in 1997 were highlighted by the first Pro Bowl appearance for Chris Slade, the first Patriots linebacker to be voted to the Pro Bowl since Johnny Rembert in 1989. The Patriots were a combined 27-21 with Pelini on staff and advanced to the playoffs in both 1997 and 1998.

* Served on George Seifert's San Francisco 49ers staff for three seasons (1994-96). Originally hired as a scouting assistant in the spring of 1994, Pelini soon joined the coaching staff as a defensive backs coach through the 1996 season. The 49ers won Super Bowl XXIX in 1994 and advanced to the second round of the playoffs the next two seasons.

Prominent Pupils

* Josh Bullocks (Nebraska, 2003), 2003 All-American/Thorpe Semifinalist
    * Demorrio Williams (Nebraska, 2003), 2003 first team All-Big 12
    * Torrance Marshall (Green Bay, 2001-2002)
    * Chris Slade (New England, 1997-1999) 1997 All-Pro led defense and Patriots to Super Bowl
    * Deion Sanders (San Francisco, 1994)

Accomplishments as a Player

* A standout FS at Ohio State, Pelini earned four letters (1987-90). He helped the Buckeyes to a 15-8 record his last two seasons and earned academic Big Ten honors three times.

* As a senior co-captain, Pelini received the Bo Rein Award, given to the Buckeyes' most inspirational senior. He also won the Jack Stephenson Award as the top athlete in business school and the Arnie Chonko Award as Ohio State's top defensive back.

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

One game does not a career make. USC would have torched any and every game plan on that one night. If LSU based the hiring solely on one post season game, Miles couldn't be our new coach.

I don't really know enough to comment intelligently on who we should hire, but am encouraged by the possibilities.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I hope you're right about that because if that was his defense at OU and he can't do any better than that with all the blue chips they have, then I don't have much confidence that he can be effective here.

P.S. That Chappelle skit referenced in your sig was hilarious!

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

He is an "co-defensive coordinator" at OU.

7. BB

BB Founding Member

I agree, but that was an ass kicking of a lifetime. Those OU defenders had no chance and I have to put the blame on the coaches. It's not jusr "one game," it's the MNC and they had an entire month to implement a gameplan of any kind. USC certainly brought the wood, but OU looked like a high school team that night, especially on defense. The fact that they were BEGGING the SC offense to run the ball and the clock so that they could go home just blows my mind.

Pelini lived to fight another day and he would be a good hire. I just believe that coaching defense in college has everything to do with preparation and teaching the mental aspects of defense. I'm not sure if OU was playing cards the entire month of December, but the bottom line is that those kids were not prepared to play - not even close!

8. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I don't know where this Pellini rumor got started but unless you know something I don't or have heard from a source I haven't, there has been absolutely NOTHING reported here about him going to LSU!
    I live 5 miles from Norman and play golf at the club where all the Zero U coaches play and nobody has said a thing to me about it, so I will be surprised to see it.

9. BB

BB Founding Member

What do OU fans think of Bo P? From a Sooner baord:

Bo Pelini?

There are rumors going around Baton Rouge that Pelini interviewed yesterday with Miles about the LSU DC job. You guys hearing anything about this? Some think his name getting thrown out there just may be a smokescreen and Miles is really trying to get Dave Campo, who knows.

If he leaves then so be it. I wish him well. If this is just a rumor, then so much for wishful thinking. Bring on the fresh young men in uniform!

Should I order the sesame chicken or the orange chicken for lunch?

is there any teriyaki chicken on the menu?

How about Chicken Parmesean?

I'll have the chicken cordon bleu', if it's all the same to you...
    NOTHING good comes in orange!

YES! Maybe we can get a coach that can teach the DBs to always stay behind the WRs and to play the pass first.

I'm having stuffed chicken breasts.

And why exactly would Lester want Pelini?

This is the best news I've heard since signing day! Let's hope that Les is foolish enough to take him off our hands! Hopefully, Joe C. will schedule LSU soon so that we can throw on them all day! With Pelini there, the Tigers' secondary will SUCK!

Yes, LSU should take Pelini. It'd be wonderful for the secondary and the new starters.

Pelini to LSU!!!

Has a nice ring to it.

Bob Stoops must be the biggest dumbarse in the world. Or, is he the world's greatest genius? He continues to win 12 games a year with two coaches that aren't worth spit, Pelini and Long.

I'm sure that Bo is aware that if a D-1 head coach job isn't in the cards now, then becoming a top 20 program coordinator and/or assistant head coach job 'might' be in his best interest. He'll certainly not move up at OU unless Brent leaves.

A guy's gotta think of his career. Salary increases in his field are often in the hundreds of thousands of dollars as opposed to most of our careers.

Pelinis complicated zone defense is killing us. We have been burned way too many times. All season long there were recievers wide open. We got lucky a whole lot. I don't like sitting in the stands hoping that the opposing quarterback has a bad throwing day. If Pelini is too stuborn to see that we need to go back to man to man then he needs to go. I'll help him pack his bags.

Pellini bashers or people that think Pellini's coverages are so tough:
    Nebraska in 2002, playing without their Pellini, was #57 in pass defense in the nation. Nebraska in 2003, playing with their Pellini, was #11 in pass defense in the nation.

So saying his schemes are too complicated is the same as saying OU DBs are dumber than Nebraska DBs.

Did the Nebraska DBs learn how to play better on their own?

Going from 57th to 11th is a big improvement but bottom line; Its still 11th and thats not good enough.

We have not been a man to man defense since Stoops arrived.

BTW, were as many people bashing Mike Stoops after we got burned deep against A&M and OSU in 2002?

Mike did mix in some man to man. Also Mikes zone was different than Pelinis in that he pretty much cut the defense down the middle and played weak and strong side zone. He also blitzed more, however he was more successful at blitzing because he was able to disguise it better.

Pelini has this elaborate zone scheme. There have been wide open recievers all season long. Pelinis complicated zone defense is not working. If there is a change up on their line or if just one player misses his assignment, we're screwed.

Results are what I care about. The talent and speed are there and these players should not be getting burned on every play in the Orange Bowl. He had his shot and blew it.

We played man to man pretty much exclusively in 1999 until the Colorado game and we got torched by Mike freaking Moshetti. The coaches got together and said, woah...that shouldn't happen so we moved to the disguised zone scheme that you see today. That game still pisses me off because we ran it like 10 times against the worst run defense in the league that year...oh wells.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, this crop of DB's never turns their head during coverage. It's impossible to get INTs when you don't turn your head. Again, it isn't the coach its who you had out there. No Perkins for 1/2 or even more of the year. Bassey, enough said. Poole out of position constantly. We graduated the best cover CB in OU history, and some other good experience (even if out of control sometimes Everage) if you didn't think there was going to be a drop off in coverage you were crazy. USC was the first team to say, hey they have a short freshman on that side of the field, lets take advantage of it. People who were pimping Walker will eventually be right, but from A&M to the Big XII NO ONE THREW AT HIM.....that's poor coach from our oppostition.

We'll be better back there soon, and Pelini is going to HELP that not hinder it.

Mike coached Pool for 2 years & Pellini 1.
    Pool was great at Center fielder but terrible at deep sideline routes. Especially if the CB was blitzing or was only covering short.

Also Mikes zone was different than Pelinis in that he pretty much cut the defense down the middle and played weak and strong side zone.

The basic defensive structure has been the same all along. We are an "under" defense that will firezone frequently on passing downs (bringing five from anywhere and playing three under, three deep zone). Pelini has come in with different ways to go about it (i.e. the double corner blitz v. Texas).
    Mike Stoops may have mixed in a little more man, but the basic structure of the defense was not drastically changed with Pelini's arrival. Now, Mike Stoops' attitude, energy and motivational skills...that can't be easily replaced.

Is anybody suprised that our defense was a little weaker in 2004 than 2003? Losing players of the caliber of Strait, Harris and Lehman can do that to you. Then throw in the coaching transition.

BTW, has anybody else wondered why we had to pull the redshirt off of a freshman to throw in there at CB? It could be because Mike Stoops didn't recruit very well and left the position pretty bare.

I am willing to give pellini his chance. The stong/weak side with stoops vs Left/Right, makes a difference. Players having to learn a new system, and our defense lacked a leader last year. If you watched 2003, strait and lehman were the ones putting their crews int he right positions. I didn't see anyone stepping up pointing to the others last year.

Damn soonert, just think how many we would win if we had 2 GOOD ones, both OC and DC.!

Pelini might go to LSU? Hell, I'll pack his whole damn house! I'll furnish the moving van and personally drive him and his family to Baton Rouge! I'm so tired of watching his secondary stink the place up that I'll do anything to get him out of Norman. Do us a favor, Les Miles, take this guy off our hands! Let us get a coach who knows how to teach players to cover a fade route! PLEASE hire Bo Pelini!

I love it the secret on Blow and his ****ty zone are out glad OU is stuck with him Blow has been over hyped since he left Green Bay enjoy.

Surely Les Miles realizes that his team's pathetic offense burned our DBs last season. He may be an idiot, but i doubt he's gonna pick up the coach of the only defensive backfield OSU could scorch. come on...

Our secondary was young this year other than Brodney Poole and Antonio Perkins. So we might be better next year so I am not given up hope. Because the year before we lost the Nagurski and Thorpe winner in Derrick Strait a dominant corner and then a prominent free safety along with Tommie Harris and Teddy Lehman and Pasha Jackson. So when you think it all adds up we lost some considerable defense from a year ago and still finished at 12-1 and we were 12-2 last year. So we could be very well another step better next year. Possibly 13-0 since Chow might be going to Tennessee.

Yeah and this year we lose J. Jackson, L. McGruder, Lance Mitchell, Dangerous Dan Cody, Antonio Perkins, Brodney Poole and Donte Nicholson!! Attrition is no excuse. You have to recruit well and play the players you brought to the dance. I'm not sure what was wrong with our secondary last year but they definitely had problems. On the other hand some of the plays that were made against them simply could not have been defended. In other cases coverage was poor in my estimation, DB's were just a split second late getting on the receiver.

Pelini did a great job with the defense while he was in Lincoln. He took a ver low ranked D in 2002 and made then very respectable in 2003 using his zone schemes. He has a HUGE ego however and a mouth he had trouble controlling. I can only tell you this; his players loved him. There are no great men...just ordinary men faced with difficult tasks that they are forced to meet.

Is Bo responsible for Bassey not being able to cover his own shadow. They have been trying for 3 years to find Bassey a spot, Mike couldn't get Bassey to perform any better. When Perk went down it hurt everything they were trying to do. The SC game was an aberration, nothing went our way. Is Bo a Mike S.? No, but there is a reason Mike is a head coach now. If you think Bob is going to keep anybody on his staff because they are a friend or out of a sense of loyalty your crazy. If Bo couldn't cut it Bob would let him go.

Give Pelini another year. I think the defense will be better next year. Just look at the front line!

10. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Gotta love those OU fans. When they win, it's how freaking great Bob Stoops is and how well he coaches, especially on defense.

They get rolled and...it's all Bo Pellini's fault. I'm sure Bob Stoops had zero impact on the kind of defensive schemes used in the Orange Bowl...LOL.

I like Bo because he has excellent pedigree. There's something to be said about spending years around two traditionally excellent programs, plus the NFL experience to boot.

Pellini or Campo. Either one works for me, personally.