DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Maderan, Feb 6, 2005.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Fans on the OU boards were begging and pleading for Pellini last year at this time. I haven't seen so many "sour grapes" fans since, well, last week, when RP signed with LSU!

2. philter

philter Founding Member

Let me run down the timeline of what I know about the Pelini rumors and where/when they started. Several days ago, posts surfaced on TB that Pelini was a 'done deal' to be DC. This was right in the midst of the Campo rumors. A couple of other posters chimed in that they had heard Pelini as well, from independent sources, but had not heard it was 'done'.

Then, a long time credible poster (who happens to work at Sullivan's..Miles' favorite place to 'recruit' it seems), said Miles did in fact meet with Pelini there for several hours around the 3rd give or take a day (his words were a few days ago when he posted this early on the 6th). He also said not only did Pelini meet with Miles for dinner there, but Miles' family and Bo's family were there for the dinner.

Another poster said that he had heard that meeting with Miles at Sullivan's was not the first time he had been in BR, lending further credence to the idea he was a 'done' deal.

In addition to this, TV reports on OK news last night confirmed Bo had interviewed for the job, but were not exact about when it happened...further confirming the Sullivan's and possibly the earlier contact stories.

Now, today, we have reports from OK (print I believe, dunno about online) that Bo is not with the OU team as they are (the OU coaches) at a Golf tournament out west. In addition, they apparently did a mini interview with him and asked him why he would leave OU, if he did. He said he may leave for more money, and the chance to run the show on his own.

These series of events makes me think it is highly probable Bo has already been hired as our DC.

3. philter

philter Founding Member

I mentioned a few days ago, at the prompting of another poster, that the delay until after the SuperBowl may have had nothing to do with hiring a DC from the pros...but rather the delay was because a position coach was being hired from the NFL, and Miles wanted to wait until his staff was complete to announce the DC.

To me, this explains why we had to wait until at least after the SB...we just assumed it was because of the DC due to the Campo rumors.

4. philter

philter Founding Member

Some people are now saying Songy is reporting Pelini has been hired as DC. I don't get Songy...can someone confirm?

5. philter

philter Founding Member

I dug around and found some good CBP articles, not having to do with his defense per se, but more about him as a person. Interesting insight since we know about what his defenses bring (for those that don't, he's considered a Pete Carroll protege'...mainly a zone defense with multiple blitz packages).

On Bo Pelini and recruiting:
    http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...theinsiders.com/2/214497.html+Bo+Pelini&hl=en

Pelini's upbringning, family:
    http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=38&u_sid=607231

Time in Nebraska:
    http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...rs/chapterinfonewsletter.html+Bo+Pelini&hl=en

Stoops family influence:
    http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=38&u_sid=603323

He seems to constantly focus on making the kids play hard, rather than mystifying an offense, which I like. First and foremost, the kids have to play hard for 60 minutes...even Billy B's defense would suck arse if they didn't play every single minute of every game (which they do!). I think our team took some plays off this year, just mo.

That's not to say he doesn't have a complex scheme..just that it doesn't rely on complexity to stop an offense. They hide their formations and blitzes just as any NFL defensive coach is taught to do (the D he runs is similar to the one that shut down OU in OB...which btw, shows you the emphasis on playing hard. Those USC players tackled like madmen!).

Like most, I'd feel most comfortable with Dave Campo as DC, but let's be clear...Pelini is not necessarily a step down. I'll be more than satisfied with him if and when he comes, I want a D that plays hard first and foremost (even average schemes with average players can have a good defense if they play harder than the opposition)..and then worry about the schemes.

My only concern with him is that he has appeared to have acted somewhat childish in the past...but I'll withhold judgement on that until I see him myself. As we all know, problems below the surface of media attention are often responsible for what we see on the news.

6. Rece@2022

Rece@2022 Founding Member

maybe we are going to interview Mangini from NE secondary coach? I heard Nick wants him some kind of bad!

geaux tigers

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Can we name a DC already?!!?!? I'm getting antsy! For what I dunno (I mean, I know that spring practice is still weeks away) .....it would just make me feel good to KNOW who our next DC will be.

8. philter

philter Founding Member

Well I'm just glad we have something to talk about in regards to football :) Once the staff is known and discussed for a few days, it'll be a while before any football news is making headlines :(

At least this way we get to prolong the football season a bit more...and thus shorten the wait until next year.

9. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Since I was watching the SB last night and not the local news, I may have missed the report. I contacted one of the local writers today and he said he had heaard the rumors but that was all. Just a few minutes ago on 2 tv newscasts it was reported that Pellini had indeed interviewed and if he comes to LSU he may well bring one or more members of the Zero U staff with him. No names were mentioned. Dean Blevins said he thought Pellini was probably going to take the job. So that's the latest from as close as I can get to it.
    :geauxtige

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Who did you talk to or what station did you call? Who other than Blevins is reporting the rumor?

Of course a couple of BR stations reported the Campo rumor, so who knows!

And Dandy Don has reported all of them! :D