DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Maderan, Feb 6, 2005.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

thats a shock. :yelwink2: :yelwink2:

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

First, I think you should realize that Pellini was "Co-defensive coordinator" and he should neither be given too much credit for OU's success, nor should he receive the brunt of the blame for their failures.

As a former defensive coach for the Packers, and other vairous pro and college teams, I think it's obvious that he's done something right.

Not an attack on anyone in particular, but I don't understand some people's opinions of: "Why are we settling for coach 'X' when coach 'Y' is clearly the better...." because WHO'S to say that coach "Y" is interested???

I can see both pros and cons to Pellini and Campo.

Pellini
    PROS: lots of NFL experience. Has had success at all levels. Young--potentially in it for the long haul should his defenses remain solid.
    CONS: Not as much experience as a DC to make the majority of the "naysayers" think better of him. While I don't believe he should take all the blame for OU's defensive failure vs USC, he needs to accept partial. And that performance was pretty bad--but it WAS only ONE game (remember, UGA threw up 45 points on us. Made our defense look like Kentucky :shock:

Campo
    PROS: Tons of DC experience at BOTH the pro and college levels. Well respected. Not many would question his hire. More recognisible name.
    CONS: Not the youngest buck in the forest. Potentially, might only be a coach in Tiger Town long enough to get his name in the phone book and purchase a house, but not likely to be here 5-8 years down the road--good defense or not.

Basically, you have two modes of thinking reguarding these two possible DC choices (if, in fact, these are the two and only two--for all we know, it could be neither)....

1. You can surely do a whole lot worse than Campo. With Campo, you KNOW what you're getting in terms of his preperation and style. You just don't know for how long you're getting it.

2. You argueably could do better than Pellini on name-recognition alone, but obvioulsy, well-respected coaches like Stoops (ok, so he's not respected by us :hihi:) and Miles :thumb:, and other NFL clubs, think he's got enough talent. The rest of us don't know it as well yet and he represents a choice you make for the long run in terms of tenure.

....just my 2 cents....

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

A friend of mine called me and said it's Pellini...and he's never wrong.

4. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Since last night, when I heard the Pellini rumor, it sound alot more concrete then Campo... I will be happy with either. Pellini did have the Blackshirts at Nebraska looking pretty good a couple years ago.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

I cringe at the thought of any one with an OU connection. But that is a personal thing being an OSU fan. Plus my OU friends will give me a major hard time. "Had to get an OU person to get a good staff" kind of comments. Right now my hope is that last week so many people had "sources" that said it was Campo.

Oh, well. I trust Miles so who ever it turns out to be, I hope they fit right in and are a huge success at LSU.

6. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Pellini has more ties to Nebraska and Iowa then to OU, he is relatively new to their staff.

7. philter

philter Founding Member

How do you think Les Miles feels? :angryfire

8. luvmesumlsu

luvmesumlsu Founding Member

Hey SabanFan, I was just wondering if you could ask your friend what the powerball numbers are for Wednesday Feb 9th 2005...........Thanks :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Thanks for that perspective! :grin:

10. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Pellini should be a good hire. I think he is a solid coach. It was his idea to use our DE Dan Cody as a floating linebacker in the OU/Texas game. It seemed to work real well. Texas never scored a point.

Our defense sucked this year because our secondary sucked and got lit up on big plays. That wasn't Pellini's fault or Venables fault.

Stoops new when he hired him that he would probably be with the team for only a year of so before he got his own DC gig.