Defense Bashers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EliteLSU1, Sep 20, 2004.

1. EliteLSU1

EliteLSU1 Founding Member

Some are bashing the defense for a multitude of reasons. I seem to think that holding Auburn was really good and had you told me Friday that we would hold them to 10 points I would've bet the farm that we would put an #@! whipping on them.

Here is why I think that we didn't blitz more than we have so far this year. If you notice, the backfield seem really lost when ever the offense changes formation. It's like they don't know who's supposed to do what. (We miss Jack Hunt) We have no one to put us in the right coverage when the offense audibles. Saban has said from the beginning that he needs to find someone vocal in the backfield to set formations. He hoped that L. Landry would step up, but he just doesn't seem to be very vocal. Saban can't blitz until he can trust his DB's to be in the right places. He will have to rely on the front four and play zone until he can be sure that he is in the right formation and everyone is in the right places.

Even with all of this, this is a young team that is growing right now. They are very talented to be able to keep AU under 11 points with the problems we are having in the backfield. If you remember, we didn't blitz a lot until Saban's 2nd year when he had someone who put us in the right place.(Damien James) Remember what happenend when he left the team. We were the #1 defense in the country until he left(tossed what ever the final verdict was). That was the year M. Mauck went down with his foot. M. Mauck had nothing to do with the defense falling way out of the #1 spot that year.

Side note: What game was Jack Hunt not a part of last year due to injury?

Does anyone see a resemblance?

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

regardless of stats, LSU fans see the missed tackles and how bad its been. Tackling was horrible in the OSU game but it was the 1st game. Tackling was almost as bad this game but they were tackling 2 guys who Ronnie Lott would have had trouble with. These 2 guys are good and our secondary was left to make the plays many times. Sometimes you have to give other guys credit as well...though the arm tackling and hitting up high is inexcusable.

That play where Daniels had a piece of Ronnie Brown's jersey while 3 LSU players assumed the play was over then he breaks free for another 8 yards or so was inexcusable.

Has anyone else noticed LSU's conditioning late in the games? It seems OSU's D (admittedly undersized) was about to pass out from lack of oxygen.

Also, seemed AU was whipped if we woulda made it to OT. I assume LSU had a good time of possession advantage or so it seemed.

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I agree with most of your post. An additional point about the above quote. When we lost Mauck, our offense became less efficient and consistent. Fewer long drives, fewer first downs, more 3-and-out. This turns the ball over to the other teams offense giving them more time of possession and more shots at your goal, and better field position to attack from. You can take some chances on offense with that set of circumstances. So indirectly, losing MM did have a lot to do with the D falling way out of the #1 slot that year.

Its happening this year also, but not as bad as '02. I thought our D played a GREAT game against Auburn this weekend. We made some mistakes, but we played well in the red zone except for the TD at the end. I like this years D. A little young, the corners look confused which is a surprise to me. I like the line and the linebackers.

4. XXL TideFan

XXL TideFan Founding Member

Man get off of your "D". They are good. Classic old fashioned SEC defense wins championships.

5. mtntiger

mtntiger Freshman

From a Tide fan who knows. As sad as this may sound, I kind of wish we had that Bama offense from your last championship team ('92?). What did they average, like 15 or 16 points?

God, what I would have given for just one more score on Saturday.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

LSU only average 35 points last year heading into the Sugar Bowl.