Even the fake punt?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jean Lafitte, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

You and Coach Saban are the only two people who think that the fake punt was a good idea.

We were too deep in our own territory.

2. That was definitely a bad idea, even if it had worked. Very risky.

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Saban said, he told the team if UT was in a certain formation to NOT run the fake punt, Apparently they were in that formation and team made a mental mistake.
    Here is his exact quote.
    "We weren’t supposed to run against that particular look. We made a mental error and we got stopped. "

I support his decision. We blast Saban for being to conservative in the Arkansas game, then Blast him for being aggresive in a game that had no future ramifications for the most part.

I am not saying Saban is not going to make Mistakes. But trust me when I say this, give me a Saban mistake once a twice a year and have him stalk our sidelines for years to come, then Mack Brown anyday of the week, or any other coach aside from maybe Stoops.

Actually I was more shocked at the onside kick.

4. Thats interesting, I hadnt read that. I agree with you about Saban but I don't think I would have even mentioned it until we were across the 50.

Trust me, I'm the best arm chair QB I know. : )

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

For years we complained about conservative coaches that were afraid to take chances. No coach, from McClendon to Dinardo, ever tried trick plays or took a chance on field position. Spurrier did and look where his program went.

Nick is unafraid and unconservative. This a good thing. Before I criticize Saban, I always ask myself "Do I want Hudson Hallman back?"

Nooooooo.

6. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

Great point Red55!

7. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

I agree with the fake punt

First of all, had the fake punt worked you know that you would have been delighted. The onside kick worked for us, unfortunately we didn't get what we needed from it. But one thing it did do, sent the message to Texas that this game wasn't over (or so it seemed at the time). I'm all for the trick plays....the best one was the double reverse halfback option to the qb.....and man Randall was open for a score! To hell with being conservative in a bowl game......I say pull out every play in the book, which Jimbo Fisher did, which is why I think he's the best Offensive Coordinator this program's ever seen.

8. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

You guys are right on!

We were heavy underdogs trailing in a bowl game we weren't supposed to be in, why not let it all hang out? I respect Saban for putting the call in, even if it wasn't supposed to be run against that particular formation. I bet if you asked Bradie James if he would rather block for the punter or run the ball, he'd say "Give me the damn ball!"

9. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

That puts things in a different light.

I completely agree with you and Coach Saban now. He can't help it if the team makes a mental error, and a coach can't be afraid to call a play simply because somebody might make a mental error.