Has Anybody Ever Heard of Bad Red Beans?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

bad red beans. Not the way they were cooked. The beans themselves. I was in Southside Produce a couple of weeks ago and if they sold red beans it would save me from having to stop at another store. The ones they had came in a 3 pound bag and it was some brand I never heard of.

But a beans a bean, right? Wrong. I cooked them for hours and hours in the slow cooker but the beans never got fully cooked. Even the ones that were sort of cooked were chewy and the skin would come off while you ate them. I ended up having to throw the whole pot away. And I threw away the 2 pounds or so that I hadn't used.

I didn't mind the loss of the beans but I hated to throw a pound of sausage away.

2. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Was there an expiration date? Especially if an off brand, it might have sat on the shelf along time. Also, there might be a different grade of product in one brand as opposed to another.

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Think of all the toilet paper you saved.

shane0911 and Bengal B like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't know. Do beans have an expiration date? I always look at the date when I buy milk but not on other stuff.

Tip: Always buy the milk from the back of the shelf. When they bring new milk in they put the old milk in front.

5. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Honey is the only thing without expiration... other things can/will "expire" when they loss their best taste as to not be blamed or, the big one, spoil. Spices are one thing that decrease there potency/flavor. The reason you pay attention to milk expiring is short shelf life. Canned goods and processed foods like cereal can be long expiration dates, sometime that backfires as who wants something that is good for 5 years... other than hardcore preppers.

Blue Runner expiration guide
    Canned Beans: 3-5 years
    Dry Beans: 2 years
    Soups: 3-5 years
    Bases: 3-5 years

Bengal B likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I've noticed the date on cans of stuff but never look for it before I put it in the shopping cart.

I only used the Blue Runner beans one time. Nothing wrong with them but I didn't think they tasted as good as the dry.
    That was red beans and rice. Maybe in chili they would be just as good.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

You could have picked out the sausage

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I did eat some of it.

9. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Mama always said soak your beans overnight...fool

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I always soak dry beans. Usually not overnight but until they are swollen and splitting. Never had a problem before with the beans not cooking. I usually use Camellia beans. Not because I know if they are the best or not but it's the only brand in most stores.

One time I used some off brand I got at a Dollar Tree. I couldn't tell the difference between them and Camellia.