I need a good C&G Gumbo Recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by locoguano, Nov 1, 2005.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I'm a chicken and sausage gumbo freak... The way I see it, if i like something, i need to learn to cook it, so i need a recipe...Something a guy with very limited cooking skills can manage... for reference, I really like the Richard's Chicken and Sausage Gumbo...

2. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Got to foodtv.com and search for gumbo. Emeril has receipes all out there and they are pretty easy. Like 1 cup chopped onion, 2 teaspoon salt kinda thing.

Only semi-difficult part is getting the roux right.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Use the storebought (Savoie's, Richard's, etc). You can't make it any better.

4. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

I will post my recipe tomorrow for you. Totally agree with sabanfan, get the roux from the store, preferably the Savoie's dark roux. A gumbo takes a long enough time as it is, no use messing with making your own roux.

Plus, my recipe is da bomb!!!!!!!

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

although some like to argue against it I admit its definitely just as good and tastes better simply because its a pain in the ass to do yourself.

i think some have posted gumbo recipes here. i probably wouldnt trust a snorton one but we sure could use that guy around for all the food talk. i mean its fall and time to eat.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

heres a quick and easy one and seems relatively good. just skip the making the roux part and buy it as suggested:

Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo Recipe

3 tablespoons cooking oil
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 onion, chopped
    2 celery ribs, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 (10 ounce) package sliced frozen okra
    1 bay leaf
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1 3/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree (one 15-oz can)
    1 quart canned low sodium chicken broth
    1/2 lb smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-in . slices
    1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-in pieces
    3/4 cup long-grain rice
    4 servings

1. In a large pot, heat the oil over moderate heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking, until starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately low and stir in the onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook until starting to soften, about 7 minutes. Add the okra bay leaf, thyme, oregano, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
    2. Stir in the broth and the smoked sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the chicken and cook until just done, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Remove the bay leaf.
    3. Meanwhile, stir rice into a medium pot of boiling salted water and boil until just done, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain. Put a mound of rice in the center of each bowl. Ladle the gumbo around the rice.

http://www.recipezaar.com/140182

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Am I the only one who doesn't think making a roux is a pain in the ass?

I got a couple of chickens at the store today to make chicken and sausage gumbo tomorrow. Sorry I don't have a recipe to give you. I just make it by taste - no recipe.

1 person likes this.
  8. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Made my first batch of gumbo the other day... came out really good, jsut need to work on the spicing... Been eating on it for a couple days now.. C&S gumbo is like crack... i cant get enough

9. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

This was mentioned in a thread a while back, and I think it was SabanFan who put it best. Buy the pre-made stuff. Yours won't be any better. :hihi: I think he recommended LaRoux's but I could be mistaken.

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Man, isn't that the truth! Same for C&S jambalaya, and now unfortunately :)hihi: ) my wife likes my cooking more than me so I have to scrap for the leftovers!:thumb::angryfire