Last Year was an Anomaly

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

COVID made things weird. A bunch of great guys opted out. Many more great guys were drafted. Poor play and injuries lead to 3 different starting QBs. The defense could not possibly be worse.

The good 2019 assistants left, and were unfortunately replaced by morons. But the morons were fired!

Prediction: 10-2 regular season.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  2. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

What’s this? Objective analysis of the situation!? Oh no, sir. That’s not allowed here. Only pure emotional overreactions are allowed on this board.

3. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Its spelled anemone.

Don Castavez and TBTrumpet like this.
  4. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Vegas has the over under at 8.5 wins. If it drops to 7.5, I’d bet the farm. I’m thinking 9-3 or 10-2 because I think Johnson’s youth will show in some tough games. Would’ve been more confident with Brennan starting. Still like our chances for double digit wins though.

LSU_4_LIFE and Buzz69 like this.
  5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Other programs mananged their situations. I'm coming to the opinion it's indicative of the leadership.

Look at Duke, overall, last season as one example.

6. Buzz69

Buzz69 Freshman

I think that's spot on. I have a lot more confidence in the Vegas odds makers than what some sports writer thinks. I also don't forsee any movement in that Vegas number.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    tzanghi likes this.
  7. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Covid played a role, as it did for every program. But not every program lost what we lost in terms of 2019 starters and had the coaching turnover & injuries to key players on top of it. There was no chemistry and a shit ton of inexperience.

I don’t believe LSU is as bad as their 5-5 record last year. I’m glad our youth was given a chance to get valuable experience last year and experience that adversity. We’ve recruited very well, there is NFL talent all over the field. Let’s see if the coaches can put it all together.

I’m expecting a 9-3 or 10-2 type season where we start slow but get better each week and are competitive as hell in our losses.

I don’t believe LSU will ever “sneak up” on anybody but I hope people keep sleeping on this team and it continues to motivate them.

mctiger, Winston1 and TBTrumpet like this.
  8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

If I recall this correctly, LSU started '20 with 73 scholarshipped players on the roster. How many seniors/early entrants come off of the '21 team?

9. LSU_4_LIFE

Outside of Stingley, I don’t see LSU having an impact on the NFL draft. Not a ton of senior starters leaving either. A few o-linemen (most would argue the guys behind them are better and would start next year regardless). I think Orgeron and Davis shuffle in the youth on the oline quite a bit this season to ensure we aren’t bare as hell next year. 3 seniors on the dline will leave (Anthony, Farrell and Gaye) Logan is already hurt and won’t start this year, but again, the guys behind them have way more upside in Smith, Roy and Ojulari, etc.

We lose a WR in Jenkins but true freshman Thomas Jr. will probably take his spot mid year this year if not by end of fall camp. Hearing really good things about him. Hearing comparisons to Terrace Marshall.

We will lose Clark and Baskerville at LB (neither are top NFL draft picks) if at all and may not be starters by end of the year either. Guys behind them will be better. Bug Strong, White, Webb, Jones Jr.

Biggest underclassman loss will be Stingley and maybe Davis Price and/or Emery, but those 2 would have to have breakout years to go high in the draft. Maybe one leaves and one stays?

Losing Stingley will obviously hurt, but we will have 2 solid CB’s next year in Ricks and McGlothern (McGlothern is a kid who went to my local High School and Tiger fans are going to really love).

I’d say we return 8 starters on offense next year (including all skill positions except maybe 1) and 7 or 8 starters defense maybe even 9 if the younger more talented guys take over by end of year. I don’t think Todd Harris will be our starting safety by mid SEC play. No question that collectively we will have a better team in 2022 than 2021. Just need the experience.

This is the last of that 2018 class. Next Year and years to come LSU will be very dangerous IF the coaching can put this talent to work.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    TerryP and tzanghi like this.
  10. LSU_4_LIFE

Here are the highly recruited underclassmen I am excited to watch this year:

Max Jonson - QB
    Kayshon Boutte - WR
    Brian Thomas Jr. - WR
    Deion Smith - WR
    Kole Taylor - TE
    Jack Bech - TE/WR
    BJ Ojulari - DE
    Eli Ricks - CB
    Dwight McGlothern - CB
    Maason Smith - DT
    Josh White - LB
    Sage Ryan - S/Nickel Back and returner