LSU's 10 Last Recruits-Top 10 List

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by celkin, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Russell Durham

Russell Durham Founding Member

We can offer more because as everyone knows some of these guys will not qualify. I also think some will be asked to come on TOPS for the first year or semester. I think we sign up to six more. The four being mentioned plus some combination of Jeremy Jones, Brandon Braxton, Jordan Reever, Jay Lucas or Patrick White.

2. celkin

celkin Founding Member

Recruits

How does that work, signing more than your limit based on academic eligibility?

3. Russell Durham

Russell Durham Founding Member

I am not sure exactly. It was talked about on either this board or Tigerdroppings some time in the past about offering scholarships and how many are actually offered. DandyDon said in one of his reader responses that as long as only 25 were actually given out in August then you could actually get more than that to sign letters of intent. For example say you get one or two guys from this class to walk on or if they are from Louisiana then maybe come on TOPS and then next year give a scholarship for the class of 2005. I don't know alot of people on here because as you can see I've only got a little over 60 posts and most were in my first month being registered but I think if you can get Ramah to weigh in on this, he seems to know quite a bit about recruiting.

4. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Rory Johnson has taken us off his list. And come on dude, you cant say Xavier Carter has low interest in Florida. Florida may very well get this guy before us. I hope we get him and I think we will but he is definetly high on Florida also.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

number of signings

We can accept letters of intent from 50 if we wanted, but only 25 can enroll in the fall on schollarship. Many times a coach knows that a kid(s) will not be elegible but wants to lock them up mentally at least so he signs several more than we can actually take. also the limits is 25 for a single season but only 85 can actually be on schollarship at one time. So lets say we had 85 guys on schollarship but had only 19 seniors on the team. Then we would only be able to award 19 schollies if no one transfers out or gives up the sport and leaves school. Most seasons you usually have at least a few transfers so that doesn't happen to much. Saban said earlier in the season that LSU only had 19 schollies to offer at that time for 2004 and he was upset that the NCAA rules prohibit giving deserving walk-ons one to replace the kid that left.

J.V did not academically qualify the year before last so he sat out the fall semester, took some High school classes and enrolled in January 2003, so he was a true freshman last season and counted against the 2003 class even though we originally got his committment letter in 2002. Also, last year we signed the punter from Maryland, Pat Fisher but he came to school on his own last year and will go on scholarship this year and count against this years recruiting class. Furthermore, if you happen to have any schollies left over from the year before due to more than anticipated not becoming eligible you can use a Juco for the following year on that schollarship but not a high school player.

Also, we had 2 players from last years recruiting class, Washington and Johnson, that weren't academically elegible and they sat out similar to what JV did. Washington has since qualified and will count against this years class. Johnson has yet to pass his high school exit exam and is trying to become qualified. If he doesn't then that will open up another scholli for this year. Also, since Fisher was enrolled this year a believe that he has lost his redshirt year and will have 4 years to play 4 seasons.

6. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Got 3 left

What about LB James Bryant. He is a 4 star LB from PA that will be in next weekend for an offical visit. 6'3" 240 lbs 4.6

Is he still coming for his offical visit? Some sites say he is a legit 4.5 guy, that would make him Saban's protypical Strong Safety, and a pretty good ILB.

7. celkin

celkin Founding Member

Good post, very informative
    One more ?
    I understand the 85 schollies, but can you have as many guys on your team if the number above 85 are not on scholarship. I guess in my mind i'm thinking why not have 600 football players on the team if there's no limit. So, basically is there a limit?

8. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

You can dress as many players in a non-conference game as you want. In SEC you can only dress XX (Somebody more knowledgeable than I about the SEC fill in the number 80??). But non-conference games you can travel and dress as many as you like. However, any player playing football on an athletic scholarship (Soccer, diving etc.. counts against your 85). Bear Bryant was the king of recruiting before there were scholarship limits.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

60 plaayers can dress for an SEC game.

10. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

I had a college strength coach named Roll that went to Kansas State. They were playing Nebraska that weekend. He called us and told us to put the house on Nebraska no matter what the spread. See Nebraska was playing at K State and could only travel 63 (?) because of conference travel rules. 3rd or 4th team could not substitute when the score got ugly. Nebraska won by 70(?). Keep the SEC in mind this year when Vandy travels.