Marcus Randall and Shyrone Carey....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EliteLSU1, Sep 28, 2003.

1. EliteLSU1

EliteLSU1 Founding Member

Did anyone see the play where Shy got hurt? IMO it looked as though that should have never happened. Not because Shy should not have been in the game, but because Randall should have not pitched that ball. The option before this one, Randall kept the ball instead of pitching. It almost seems like Marcus is one play behind. In other words, "I should have pitched it last option so I will pitch it this option."
    Also, the Blue Grass Miracle has went to his head. I wish there was a stat that showed how many times he went as deep as he could after that play. Most people would be astonished I believe.

I really hope that Mauck stays healthy so that we don't have to rely on MR. I just don't think that he has the brains to play QB.

Just my opinion!!!

2. LSURuss98

LSURuss98 Freshman

So that defender in Randall's face had nothing to do with him pitching it. The receiver missed the block. So if you want to blame anyone for Shy getting hurt, blame the receiver that missed the block. Just in case you don't know, on option quarterback keeps the ball until someone gets in his face. I am sick and tired of everyone blaming Randall for everything that goes wrong on the field. I'm suprised he wasn't blamed for Mauck's int. and fumble against UGA. Layoff the BACKUP and support all of the tigers like TRUE TIGER FANS are supposed :lsug: :geaux: :lsug:

3. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

EliteLSU1:
    I posted the below on another site.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had the thought. This is just an observation on the play that Carey was injured on. You can only take my word for this, but I was yelling don’t pitch the ball. I think Randall should have kept the ball.

I will pray every week that Matt does not get hurt. We’re in serious trouble if we have to call on MR.

4. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

LSURUSS98: He pitched the damn ball before anyone was in his face. Just because someone makes a comment that he should not have pitched a ball does not mean he is being blamed for what happened.

Randall will never be a good QB. He would probably make a decent receiver. I personally do not want to find out, but if something as terrible as last season should happen (Matt), our season would go down the tubes before you could say geaux tigers.

The team does not have any confidence in his ability, and if you should think different, review the Auburn game last year. It’s not just one game. Randall played against a terrible defense last night and almost took a safety on the first drive, & don’t give me that crap he had all backups in the game.

You can defend his play all you want, you have that right, and I respect your right to do so. Mark this down; you can put a fork in MR next season, because he is done. The only way he’ll see the field is from the sideline, unless he can play another position.

Your support of Randall does not indicate your support of the team; any more than my dislike of Randall’s performance, indicates my lack of support for this team. There is no person that is any more loyal to LSU than me. EliteLSU1, any others and myself can have an opinion about a particular play, player or game, and not be disloyal to the team.

5. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

another thing that happen when Carey got hurt was that Dwayne Bowe missed his block. The guy that Bowe was Blocking was Quentin Culberson who LSU recruited very hard, and Bowe just flat out missed the block and Culberson hit him with his helmet right into the knee. My point while I don't think Randall is the answer at QB it wasn't all his fault on the play. Another thing when the Injury occured when should've had Vincent, Broussard, and Barrington Edwards in the game anyways.

6. EliteLSU1

EliteLSU1 Founding Member

LSURoss

I said that this wa my opinion. But I will watch the replay today or wednesday because they will probably show the play from more than one angle. From what I could see, which should be what you could see, is that he defenders were coming from the outside where the running back was going to have to go and that he had plenty of room to keep the ball and cut it straight up the field. I may be wrong but believe it or not, you may be wrong also.
    I don't have to prove my standing as a fan of LSU to you or anyone else. I just spoke what I thought about the play and my thoughts on MR. I didn't see you defend him about going for the longball almost every chance that a reciever goes deep. Could it be that maybe he does this on a regular basis.
    I-M-O he can not lead this team the way it needs to be lead. Maybe he is just pressing to hard and trying to make plays to show that he can be a starter. If this is true, then he has not bought into the system and does not have what it takes to be a QB for LSU. All we need for him to do is get the ball to the playmakers not be the playmaker.

7. max

max Founding Member

Move Randall to SS now and take the redshirt off Russell.

8. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

One of the problems I have with MR is he could have thrown the ball away rather fight against the sack that deep in our own territory. I agree that he lives and dies throwing the ball long, and every now and then a receiver can run down one of his overthrown passes.

He scares the hell out of me every time he enters a game. His loose cannon style of play could cost us a lead. IF I were the coach, I’d have to bring one of the Fr along, by giving him some needed PT. My attitude would be, should Matt go down, and knowing MR cannot handle the position, which means my season is probably going down, then I’ll go down with a QB that will get better and not a QB that is no better than his first start against SC last year and shows no improvement in his play or decision making.

Sure he has played in spurts but that does not cut it in the SEC or at LSU. I don’t necessarily agree that Carry should not be left in the game. Other than Justin whom do you have? Edwards and Ally can’t run from here to there without laying the ball on the ground. Maybe four games of PT and they have 6 fumbles between them and two resulted in TD’s for the opponent.

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Let's keep in mind folks that Saban/Fischer were calling a very limited playbook late in the game so as not to embarrass Miss. State even further. Randall was just in there to get some reps and feel comfortable under center in case he is needed in the future. We are not burning Russell or Flynn's redshirts if we can help it. Randall is the back-up if Mauck goes down (and God, I hope he doesn't).

Randall is no superstar, but he has done the best he can, and sometimes he has made some mistakes. But I do see improvement. I thought he did very well when he came in against Arizona (yes, I know they stunk, but they could hang with MSU probably). I agree that the short-to-medium passing game is not his forte' and that he performs much better when throwing the deep ball. I think this year, with our much better defense and Randall's improvement, we are not in such a difficult position should Randall have to come in. That said, I hope he doesn't.

I think next year, we will see movement at the QB position. If Randall cannot keep Russell and Flynn at bay in spring and keep the #2 spot, he will either A) be moved to another position, most likely receiver or safety, or B) transfer.

Oh, and LSURoss, I too am weary of people blaming Randall for everything. There was plenty of blame to go around for last season's late collapse.

10. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Am I the only one that was disappointed in the offensive production against the worst defense we will face all year?? I thought the offense looked out of sync, except for the drive at the end of the first quarter we didn't really get the running game going, ....though D. Henderson had an awesome game and Carey ran very hard.

Overall a great win. The Defense was stellar once again but I think the offense will have to perform better in the games we have coming up. Perhaps I expected too much against a defense that was giving up over 500 yards per game but one certainly can't complain about the outcome. :geaux: