Marcus Spears Hurt

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by McKinneyTiger, Aug 5, 2005.

1. McKinneyTiger

McKinneyTiger Founding Member

From the Dallas Morning News site:
    "Cowboys first-round selection, defensive lineman Marcus Spears, injured his right leg during morning practice on Friday. Spears was placed on a cart and taken from the field."
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/football/

And from the DMN SportsSay blog site:
    "Spears hurt - First-round pick Marcus Spears injured his knee, groin and ankle during practice. It sounds like he's going to be out for awhile. Jerry Jones looked ashen."
    http://sportssay.beloblog.com/

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

stephen peterman part II. damn.

3. cdew

cdew Freshman

Spears injured at Practice today

They don't have much information yet. Let's hope this is not bad news. Great guy and I hope he doesn't miss much time.

Cowboys Site

4. tirk

''It doesn't look good,'' Jerry Jones said. Spears will undergo an MRI today on his ankle, knee, and groin to determine the damage. The first-round pick was expected to be a key starter in Bill Parcells' new 3-4 defense.

5. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

Damn! Three injuries in one! Sounds like he got his leg completely rolled on.
    He's going to be a great addition to the Cowpokes regardless at some point down the road. All pro, etc.

Down the road Saban will try to work some kind of trade to get him.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm watching the Dallas evening newscast right now, and it just doesn't look good for Spears. Parcells and Jerry Jones both looked very shaken.

Between Sue Gunter dying and Marcus Spears going down, this is a sad week for the Tigers.

Let's all keep Marcus in our prayers. As happy as I was on Draft Day that I would get to watch Spears up close in Dallas, I feel absolutely sick right now.

7. tirk

initial report said it looks like 2-4 weeks. crucial month or so missed but good news if they don't find anything more with another mri.

looks to be a knee sprain and groin pull. let's hope.

8. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

Feel bad for Marcus and the Cowboys.

Sometimes it is just bad luck and there is nothing you can do about it.

Hope it isnt too serious and he can get well before the season starts.

Geaux Tigers

9. clair

clair Rockets

2-4 weeks is a BLESSING from what I heard

10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Here's an update from the Cowboys web site. Thank goodness it doesn't appear as serious as initially reported:
    OXNARD, Calif. - The Cowboys breathed a huge sigh of relief Friday afternoon when owner and general manager Jerry Jones announced the preliminary results on Marcus Spears' knee injury were not as bad as initially feared.

Spears is expected to miss as much as four weeks with a mid-grade sprain of the medial collateral ligament in his right knee, Jones said. Spears, taken to a local hospital for an MRI and X-rays, also suffered a high-ankle sprain and a strained calf muscle Friday morning.

"There's a chance he'll be back for the opening game of the season (at San Diego, Sept. 11)," Jones said. "Our doctors haven't confirmed it yet. That's just what the doctors there at the hospital said."

The news comes as a mild surprise since Jones stated earlier Friday that Spears' injury "wasn't good," and the early indications seemed to suggest a knee injury that would sideline Spears for the entire season.