of all the things i made this thanksgiving, this one was the killa'

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Dec 2, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

i'm going to give it to you exactly how it was given to me and man oh man is it gooooood.....................

Oyster Dressing
    "here's the oyster dressing as served at Deanie's Seafood near West End. I'll see if i can't dig up my mama's recipe too."

ingredients:
    * 4 oz butter (1 stick)
    * 2 cups onions, chopped
    * 1 cup celery, chopped
    * 1 cup green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 and 1/2 tbl garlic, minced
    * 4 dozen oysters, chopped
    * 1/2 cup parsley, chopped (use fresh parsley)
    * 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    * 1/2 cup peccorino romano cheese, grated
    * 3 cups coarse unseasoned bread crumbs (i used day-old biscuits cut in 1/4" cubes)
    *1 and 1/2 cups oyster liquor (or whatever is left from the oysters)
    * 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (toast them first for even more flavor)

method:

Melt the butter over medium heat. saute the onions, celery, green onions and garlic until tender, stirring frequently. gradually add the chopped oysters and cook about 4 minutes constantly stirring (just watch this thing thicken up!!). add the parsley; stir. lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. add the cheese and pepper; stir. remove from the heat and begin stirring in the bread crumbs a little at a time (thickens even more!!!). add the pecans and oyster liquor and stir. cover and let stand for 3-5 minutes. salt to taste.

the dressing can be stuffed into the fowl of your choice, or it can be served as a side dish with seafood. to serve as a casserole, spoon the dressing into a buttered casserole dish, sprinkle with unseasoned bread crumbs, dot with butter and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. yield is 2 quarts or about 8 servings............i kid you not......this is the best !!!!

if you want to check out this restaurant (yes you can order online)........here is their website.........

http://secure.deanies.com/