Passing Accuracy

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MaconGATiger, Sep 19, 2004.

1. MaconGATiger

MaconGATiger Founding Member

I don't really care who starts, it's not our decision to make though we all have our thoughts. We can argue about it all friggin' year and I guarantee Saban will not call one of us on Friday night to approve his decision for starter the next day.

That being said, a huge problem with BOTH of these cats is that when we have open receivers, they cannot get the ball into their hands. I have been frustrated all year (granted three games) watching horrible passing from a 5th year Senior and the freshman phenom. How many times can JR's trajectory be straight into the ground. How many times can MR overthrow open receivers. I don't know about Randall's high school experience. I don't know if he was even a QB in high school. I do know all about JR's high school resume and his unbelievable rep coming to LSU. Before you bash, I understand that this is Div 1 football and it's different. However, shouldn't these guys be able to make 10 and 15 yard passes consistently. Shouldn't they connect on long passes more than they are. Randall's been doing this for a while at this level. JR's stats show that he should know how to do it to.

Somebody needs to get back to basics in practice and get this accuracy improved. Nothing more frustrating as a fan than watching guys get open, stay open, and not get a catchable ball thrown to them!

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

JR needed to have this experience. Against Ark state he was deadly accurate. A little different game and he struggled. Everybody does from time to time. He is the guy that gives LSU a quick strike potential. IMO

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Perhaps Jimbo's schemes on offense could be scaled down in certain aspects. Perhaps a few more bubble screens to the WR's and some dumps offs to the TE's need to be installed and run a bit more?

4. mgreer1

mgreer1 Founding Member

It is nerves with both of these guys. Granted this is the second time that Randall has been into JH stadium. I really do not know why he over throws or under throws so much. But Russell holds the ball to tight at times. Coupled with the fact that he has a cannon causes him to underthrow uncatchable balls.

:geaux:

5. lmb20988

lmb20988 Founding Member

Free Flynn!

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Against Arky State the receivers were able to get wide open pretty easily. Against Auburn they were throwing against SEC caliber pass coverage and the receivers didn't get nearly the separation the did against ASU. Against good coverage its much more important to be able to put the ball right on the money.

7. ARTiger

ARTiger Founding Member

The accuracy is definitely off with both QB's. It is frustrating to see open receivers and them not able to get the ball. I can understand Russell struggling somewhat because he is just now being put into the fire. Not sure with Randall, maybe nerves, who knows. Didn't he throw one bubble screen into the ground???

Anyway, I think once Russell gets enough reps in and has good game experience then everybody better watch out, because he's gonna light up some defenses.

:geaux: :geaux:

8. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

The problem is you have one quarterback who is very marginal by SEC standards and one quarterback who is very talented but inexperienced splitting reps at practice and in the games at quarterback when both of them should be getting all the reps they can because one is marginal and the other inexperienced. Not to mention the fact you also have an offensive coordinator forced to divide his time between two starting quarterbacks when one of them should be getting his undivided attention. Until the coaches decide on a quarterback expect both quarterbacks to continue to struggle and the offense as a whole to play with very little continuity.