Repeal the 2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by uscvball, Mar 27, 2018.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

That's what former SC Justice Stevens is calling for.

"Rarely in my lifetime have I seen the type of civic engagement schoolchildren and their supporters demonstrated in Washington and other major cities throughout the country this past Saturday. These demonstrations demand our respect. They reveal the broad public support for legislation to minimize the risk of mass killings of schoolchildren and others in our society.

That support is a clear sign to lawmakers to enact legislation prohibiting civilian ownership of semiautomatic weapons, increasing the minimum age to buy a gun from 18 to 21 years old, and establishing more comprehensive background checks on all purchasers of firearms. But the demonstrators should seek more effective and more lasting reform. They should demand a repeal of the Second Amendment."
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opin...al-the-second-amendment/ar-BBKKZP0?li=BBnb7Kz

For those who have continued to say they don't want to take everyone's guns.....wake up. That has always been the end game. Stevens was a dissent voice in Heller so I don't believe he truly understands the 2nd but it doesn't render his comment any less disappointing.

And a reminder of the type of attitude driving this "civic engagement"....

2. HoopHound

HoopHound Veteran Member

I was struck by the irony of him calling the 2nd a relic when this very article proves the need remains and as strong as ever.

3. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

The future belongs to the youth. As these mass shootings increase or continue to happen, they will get old enough to make a change one day. They may take guns away but the underlying societal issues that causes one kid to kill a bunch of other kids will still exist.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I didn’t see anything there about repealing the 2nd.

I don’t see why common sense gun laws restricting certain weapons is such a big deal. There are restrictions and consequences to the first amendment. You can’t yell fire in a theater, why is it a bad thing to restrict a crazy person from getting an AR?

Will that solve the problem, no, there will still be shitty parents and kids whose home and school life are so fucked they resort to an act of violence and it could be a shotgun or a handgun they use, but I’d rather be running away from both of those than I would be running away from a street sweeper.

It’s fucking stupid however that I live in a country where a joint could get me arrested but a semi automatic rifle won’t.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  5. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

9 pellets in 12 gauge buckshot x 8 shells = 72 projectiles....ar15 w 30 round mag comparing the two not much difference in killing power. if you want to kill a bunch of people you can. guns are not the issue. shit bag people are

watson1880 and Winston1 like this.
  6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Was more of a range thing I was talking about. At close range I’d rather go up against an AR than a shotgun.

You know I agree with your premise but if that was the case why are drugs illegal? Shouldn’t the same logic apply? If people can’t be trusted with heroin why should they be trusted with an AR?

7. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

you are throwing that at the wrong person. i don't care what you put in your body chemically or anatomically just don't come complain to me when you life goes south.

8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

You are wrong they will never take the guns away. Also this country will fail if those "young people" ever take charge with the that type of mindset. I have always thought the voting age was way to low. Most 18 year olds have no clue how the world and societies work, too busy drinking, smoking and trying to get laid.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    msully, XXL TideFan and Winston1 like this.
  9. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

if your old enough to carry a rifle for uncle sam you are old enough to pull a lever

watson1880 and kcal like this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That goes for a lot of 21 year olds too. But if a person is old enough to fight for his country he should be able to vote. Raise the voting age and the age of entry into the military to 40. There might be fewer wars if the 40-60 year olds who make the decisions to get us into wars that 18-30 year olds have to fight had to fight them themselves.

Rolan and lsu-i-like like this.