Supreme Court Ruling

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Buzz69, Jun 23, 2021.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Business man plans $500-a-month endorsement deal for every Miami Hurricanes football player on scholarship
    https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-miami-hurricanes-football-player-scholarship

The owner of a Florida-based chain of mixed martial arts gyms unveiled big plans Tuesday to try to help Miami Hurricanes football players take advantage of new rules that allow them to make money

:(:(:(:(:(

early departures to become pro, one and done's,.. huge coach salaries,.. grad transfers,.. the transfer portal,.. those made college sports sickly

the recent NIL rulings will kill college sports,.. RIP

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  2. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I don't think you can kill something that has as much love behind it as college athletics. It will change, and we can't possibly know all the unintended consequences, but it will go on.

A big athletic budget is required if you intend to go for championships. But it doesn't necessarily buy championships, the Longhorns prove that every year. It's like the ante in poker, just because you ante up doesn't mean you win - but if you don't have enough money to match the ante - you can't play.

But its not everything, Clemson is #24 on the list of richest college football programs - and they've done OK. Texas is the richest every year, and Michigan is always in the top 5; and they've been underachieving for decades. That's why their alumni have such huge frustration bubbles up their ass.

It'll take a while for all of this to settle in, but it will reach some kind of stable state. In the meantime the chaos in the rich programs over how to deal with the players making money could open an opportunity for a talented but less rich school to sneak into the playoffs. Maybe.

Oregon could be a school this helps. I'm sure Nike could afford to add an additional 85 employees in the marketing department.

3. GiantDuckFan

i think we have a couple/few years left before it all falls apart,.. and how is it going to stabilize?.. we're talking about differant state laws already in place, the NCAA has no control over it,.. what we'll end up with is the schools who have sugar daddies will prosper, the ducks will do great,.. but the rest are going to be forced out of the games

it's already reaching an economic tipping point, coach's salaries, facility upgrades, are outrageous, almost all athletic departments lose money. I predict most universities are going to say, "fuck it, no more sports, we're putting our focus back on academics"

it's heartbreaking to me, the spirit of the college game has already been ruined,.. these new rulings will turn the college games into,.. players going to the school where they get paid the most money,.. i don't want any part of it, i'll give up my ducks and watch the NFL and MLB

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  4. GiantDuckFan

ur right, meester duck, this is the beginning of the end for college sports

Oregon Ducks star Kayvon Thibodeaux signs NFT deal with Nike’s Phil Knight, Tinker Hatfield
    https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/20...l-with-nikes-phil-knight-tinker-hatfield.html

As one of the top players in college football, it was only a matter of time before Kayvon Thibodeaux got in the name, image, and likeness (NIL) policy that’s making waves across the sport.

The star Oregon Ducks defensive end announced Tuesday evening he would be collaborating with Nike co-founder/CEO Phil Knight and shoe designer Tinker Hatfield to design NFT artwork.

LSUTiga likes this.
  5. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

LSU_4_LIFE and GiantDuckFan like this.
  6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

As mentioned, college sports are dead

LSU_4_LIFE and GiantDuckFan like this.
  7. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Suspect there will be alot of tweaking/tuning in coming years. This being pushed as a windfall for college athletes is the real joke. Guessing less than .1% of them will truly benefit.

8. GiantDuckFan

i don't see how this can be tinkered with, it's all being driven by differant state laws,.. do you think Louisiana is going to shut down NIL with LSU, handicap them, while Alabama is wide open, making deals to help the evil dwarf.

the greedy unappreciative star players have killed the goose that laid the golden eggs,.. where will the high school players to come go after there is no more college scholarships,.. college sports,.. RIP

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  9. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

NIL will save college sports. The colleges still don't have to pay athletes. The NCAA can no longer criminally restrict athletes from taking money that people want to give them. Every other college student can have a job and earn money, why not athletes?

For the 99% of scholarship athletes for whom a free education is a good trade, not much will change. And for the player good enough to earn some spending money - maybe that guy stays in school one more year.

"Oh but the rich schools with rich donors will dominate!" How is that any different than today?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  10. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

TerryP likes this.