Tom Benson wants a BILLION dollars to keep the Aints....

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by InVinoVeritas, Jul 27, 2003.

1. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Founding Member

Anyone who thinks that makes sense to the state is EITHER an abject moron or corrupt. Other states have spent far less luring major industries employing tens of thousands of people to their state.

It was one thing when it was onlt tax breaks but know it is the REDISTRIBUTION of wealth from the taxpayers to Benson.

WWLTV

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I didn't read the link but my message to Benson is (as has been mentioned to Bama several times recently): Don't let the door hit you in the a$$.

3. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

I've heard everything from losing the Saints would

be the devastation of NO economy to the best thing ever for the economy.....

Thoughts..?

4. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

No way it would be the devastation of the NO economy. I have no idea what exact part of the NO economy that the Saints helps, but I do know that there is no way losing the saints would hurt or "devastate" the NO economy. Unless I am completely oblivious to some sort of financial figure, I wouldn't even call NO dependent on the Saints...

5. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

My guess is that it would depend on what they have to pay to keep them. A billion dollars spent on keeping them would be much, much more devastating than losing them. N.O. would still get Super Bowls without them maybe not as often though.

6. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

Are there any studies of the economic impact of the Saints on NO..?

Seems there would be some intangibles also like prestige, hidden advertising, etc.....

NO does not need another loss.....

See we can have a civilized thread....

7. LSU MPA

LSU MPA Freshman

A couple of months ago, I asked Gov. Foster's Cheif of Staff, Andy Kopplin about what was being done to see that the Saints dont hold the State hostage anymore and part of his answer surprised me. He said the State had looked into buying the Saints themselves, sort of like Green Bay in which the community owns the team, but the NFL would not allow it. If the State owned the Saints then they could never make a threat to leave. Teams owned by one person can move to greener pastures when they want and this brings more money into the NFL because the new cities often put up alot of $$$$ in order to lure the team there.

8. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I would like to know the net effect of the Saints on the entire state taking into effect the amount of money the state has given the Saints.

The Packers are set up as a publicly owned non-profit corporation. I can see the NFL not wanting to have a state own a team, but I wonder if they are against The Saints being set up just like the Packers.

"Green Bay Packers, Inc., has been a publicly-owned, non-profit corporation since Aug. 18, 1923, when original articles of incorporation were filed with Wisconsin's secretary of state.

A total of 4,748,909 shares is owned by 110,901 stockholders - none of whom receives any dividend on the initial investment.

The corporation is governed by a board of directors and a seven-member executive committee.

One of the more remarkable business stories in American history, the team is kept viable by its stockholders - its unselfish fans. Even more incredible, the Packers have survived during the current era, permeated by free agency and the NFL salary cap. And, thanks in large part to Brown County's passage of the Lambeau Field referendum, the club will remain solvent and highly competitive well into the future.

Fans have come to the team's financial rescue on several occasions, including four previous stock sales: 1923, 1935, 1950 and 1997.

To protect against someone taking control of the team, the articles of incorporation prohibit any person from owning more than 200,000 shares. "

9. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

Very interesting & informed answer...

Thank you...

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So the build the new stadium and another ghetto to move those people to?