Tubberville Question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by chuck, Jan 31, 2002.

1. chuck

chuck Founding Member

Now I realize this is going to attract the typical (Tubby is gay, smoking cigars, stomp on the eye, band fight) responses from many, but I have a serious discussion topic that I want to ask some of the Tiger Forum folks I have had good discussions with (TigerSaint etc.). I have spoke to some of my LSU friends about this in Houston, but would like your opinion.

I realize that you all hate TT, fine, can't change that, but what surprises me is that you say you hate him for his "lack of class" etc,. however, meanwhile you way nothing about someone like Jackie Sherrill. I am not going to stoop to sherrill bashing or anything, but this is a man who cut the you know what's off a bull to motivate his players (not to mention accuse an All-American punter of filling his football with helium). But, I bet if we looked back 5-6 years, LSU's record against Sherrill would be EXTREMELY better than vs. Auburn (I would say something close to 1-4 vs. 4-1).

Which do you honestly feel is the greater reason for the dislike?

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Nobody likes Sherill either, but he has been relativly quiet lately while TT's antics have been recent and more visible to everyone.

3. NMTiger

NMTiger Founding Member

Hey Chuck,
    I think the reason most LSU don't say much about Sherril is because almost every year we beat those guys. The one year I remember them beating us there was a very questionable call on the goal line. I personally don't hate TT but the cigar incident made me very angry. I like the fact that the SEC has a bunch of colorful coaches (one less now that SOS is gone). As far as all of the other stuff with TT, I think it has been overblown.

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I agree that Sherril is no jewel However he has not done some of the things Tubby as done recently. All of this is well documented as in your post.

MSU has done none of these things. Of course us beating them every year helps. But I think the Auburn fans and their conduct towards us (you excluded) has not helped the situation. (all the insults, we are dumb cajuns, trailer parks etc etc). One Auburn board saying recruits should be concerned about our Drug and Alchohol problems we have at LSU. Now I also admit LSU fans are not innocent victims either on that front. We have had our share. Although understood because of the behavior of a your coach. Not justified.

The bottom line is Tubby has really rubbed LSU, Alabama, Florida (According to their messages boards) and Ole Miss a bit wrong. LSU more then anyone else.
    Plus outside of Auburn, many people dont think he is a very good coach. 7-5 is not a good season for Auburn Standards. Plus losing at the end of the season to me was a coaching melt down. Not talent. But that is just my opinion.

I guess we see Tubby represents all that is wrong with coaching and is dragging (in our opinion) a very proud and fine institution to the level of Miami in its hayday....

And it is not because Tubby beats us. He is 6-5 against LSU so that is not it.

The bad news is I dont see it getting any better until Tubby is no longer there.

The good news it sure makes for a great Saturday and week before every year.

I think we all need a bit of perspective from the standpoint this is still only a game.

5. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I think that about sums it up, Texas.