We still have to win an sec tourney game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by -T-, Mar 9, 2003.

1. -T-

-T- Founding Member

this is where our garbage pre-conference schedule really hurts. going by cbs rpi (it may be wrong) we played #1 arizona, but we also played #266, #284, and #320. we are clearly a team that would be hard for anyone to beat right now, but our strength of schedule is ranked #59. other than tennessee having a SOS of #51, we have the worst SOS in the SEC by a very long way.

it is pretty stupid, but the selection committee is big on strength of schedule. hopefully the way we finish weighs more than the schedule compared to other sec teams. despite being a game better in the sec than bama, they played a tougher schedule and that could hurt us. that's why beating vandy is huge. if bama and lsu both win one game in the sec tourney, it may get kind of crazy.

2. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

We are in PERIOD!.. Yes a loss to Vandy might hurt our momentium but when has a season ending tournament ever entered the minds of the selection committee. Give some facts and past history to your comments. I would agree that our preconference schedule would have hurt us had we not beaten the #1 team in the country! The selection committee looks in particular at 3 things:

Last 10 games- we were 7-3
    RPI- schedule strength will be in the top 50 after our bama win.
    Road record and neutral sites- we were 3-7 here

We have done all we can do. The only thing that could hurt us now is if there are a mulitude of upsets in mid major conference tournaments. Nothing at the SEC tourney will hurt the bubble teams unless SC, ARK, MISS or VANDY win which is next to impossible.

The SEC will get at least 6 in and we WILL be one of them.

By the way, is it a long way to having a #1 Strength of schedule vs. a 350? I would think that a top 50 is closer to the top than the bottom as you have alluded to. We would have had to play one other mid 100's team and beat them to move into the top 20. The selection committee knows this and based on the strength of the SEC, they will make this decision.

I also pose this question to you T since you have asked me to review your posts of which I have regarding our coach... you still believe our coach is BAD for LSU? I am sure this board is anxious to hear your comments on this one.

3. tigerdoc88

tigerdoc88 Founding Member

I do think that, barring a rash of upsets in conference tournaments, we are in regardless of what we do. The commitee is big on how a team performs at the end of the season, and we have been blasting teams, including Auburn and Tennessee. However, I will breathe a huge sigh of relief if we beat Vandy on Thursday.

4. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Black Cloud:
    Our Mens basketball team had to claw from behind in the final minutes of the game to beat Bama.
    Our womens basketball had to come from behind vs Vandy to get to the finals of the SEC Tournament.
    Our Baseball team had to receive a run via a hit batter to sweep series.

Reality:
    Hey guy we won. The three top programs at LSU had outstanding weekends. Brady has guided the men to the big dance. Wasn't that the stated goal a few weeks back. Wasn't Tuhoo going to fire the entire staff because we couldn't beat Texas A&M. LOL
    The women defeated the most successful team in the SEC, took that smirk off Lawson's face, and won the Championship. The women should go as a number one seed.
    Doesn't the sun look a little brighter today? What a great weekend

5. -T-

-T- Founding Member

SOS is now #62. i guess teams behind us played tougher teams than ole miss and bama last week. i don't understand this "we are in period" nonsense. if you don't think the vandy game is huge, then you aren't thinking straight. with our poor SOS, 20 wins and .500 in the sec should get us in, but 19 wins and 8-9 in the sec probably won't.

to answer your question, an 8-8 sec record does not change my mind on how good of a coach brady is. i still think he is bad for lsu in the long run. for those in a coma before the season, this team was expected to reach the ncaa tourney.

6. EastBankTiger

EastBankTiger Founding Member

we're in - but I would like to see both football and basketball toughen up their on--conference schedules. It's good for getting fans in the seats and the team will benefit from it - Skip always said that much of the baseball team's success was due to their playing quality competition early in the season.

7. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I have to agree with T on this as much as it pains me to say so. If we were to lose 1st round and all other bubble teams win then it could be nip and tuck. However, I think Vandy will be a solid win for us and the Florida game can go either way.

Of course, now that Georgia is out all of this talk could be worthless.