What is a Hawkeye...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by futballer, Dec 7, 2004.

1. futballer

futballer Freshman

What's up Tigers?
    I thought I would drop in and see if I could get an "inside feel" for the LSU team Iowa will be playing.
    Firstly, in browsing the board, I read "HawkEye" in a post.
    The Hawkeyes (one word) have nothing to do with either Hawks or eyes of birds. Hawkeyes come originally from the JF Cooper novel Last of the Mohicans and that book's main character. The early settlers in Iowa were frontiersmen and because of their manerisms and appearances, became known as "Hawkeyes" by the rest of the country.
    When the state school was founded the first school president liked the book so much they decided to use that term as the mascot.
    "Herky", the bird-mascot which you will see running around our side-lines, came into the picture later and is a by-product of fans shortening Hawkeyes into Hawks.
    The bird image remains (like the Tiger-Hawk on the helmets) but again, Hawkeyes originally had nothing to do with birds.
    I have to say that I am stoked about playing LSU because of the prestige etc... AND because I would take Saban or Ferentz over any other coach in the country. The side-line duel should be a fun side-bar to watch!
    The Hawks have been decimated at running back (lost our first 4 deep to injury, 3 with ACL's) but have managed to win 9 behind Drew Tate's magic and a tough defense. Marcus Simmons will be back for the bowl game, so he should help us on the ground, but Iowa has never been able to run that effectively all season, so we'll see.
    I would like to know about the Tigers. We really haven't gotten much news about them up here in the heartland since that Oregon St. game early on. They just sorta' flash your score (7 wins in a row, congrats) and move on to talk about Auburn. Let me know!
    I'm looking forward to what I believe will be a very interesting game!
    Hope the history lesson didn't bore anyone.

2. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

Welcome futballer! Thanks for the mascot info!

3. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

good post and welcome to the board.

4. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Thanks for the explaination of Hawkeyes, I did not know that. Well just as you cannot run the ball we have had difficulty all year passing the ball. We hope to have the Marcus Randall who played against Arkansas show up in Orlando though. Randall is a 5th year senior and a tough kid. He's a threat to run and pass and that can be dangerous especially to teams who haven't seen alot of him.

We've got a great stable of running backs and are led by two bruising, tough backs in Alley Broussard and Joseph Addai. Both of these backs will not shy away from any contact and have also shown great bursts of speed this season.

We've got talent at WR but other than Skyler Green its all young.

Our OLine is good despite the loss of All-American Ben Wilkerson to a season ending knee injury.

Our defense is where we shine. We have a terrific front seven led by Marcus Spears, Kyle Williams and recently Claude Wroten up front. Lionel Turner is our best linebacker.

Our secondary is very good with Corey Webster and Travis Daniels and CB and Laron Landry and Jessie Daniels at the two safety positions. We like to blitz and also do a good job at knocking passes down at the line, which could be an issue with Tate since he is only 6'0" tall.

We struggle at special teams but our kicker has been coming on strong lately and leads the SEC with 6 made field goals from 40yards or further. He is also our punter and averages about 40 yards per punt. We have a pretty good return game and Skyler Green will be completely healthy for the bowl so he will be more than capable of taking one back for a score.

As you said Ferentz and Saban are two of the top coaches in America so both teams should be very well prepared. It should be a great matchup.

5. ThirdRowLSU

ThirdRowLSU Freshman

Very interesting..

So that's what a 'Hawkeye' is all about. It certainly isn't the lamest mascot out there, not even close really! Thanks for the info.
    :eek:lefire:

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

If you had ever seen M*A*S*H you would have known that...or just read Last of the Mohicans.

I guess I must have seen this tidbit somewhere because I knew it somehow.

7. BB

BB Founding Member

What is a Hawkeye?

A Hawkeye is Tigerbait...

8. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

Thanx for the info, now if I only knew what a illini, a ute and buckeye were? and why is it stanford cardinal? my brain hurts.

"And NO sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!!!"
    Stewie-------Family Guy

9. BrewHawk

BrewHawk Freshman

Illini- named after Chief Illiniwek

Ute- native american tribe

Buckeye- poisonous nut

Cardinal- it's the color

Wish I had some useful information floating around in my mind somewhere.:dis:

10. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Thanks for the info, all Hawkeyes.

Very interesting indeed.

My research tells me that this is the very first game in history between mighty LSU and the Iowa Hawkeyes.