07 in the PMAC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, Mar 28, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

A problem for all college basketball programs - not anything that LSU is in particuarly more affected by than other programs.

2. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

You need AA b/c you are in denial.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Big Baby needs to take a little more weight off and add some vertical to his game. Right now he plays 99 percent of his game below the rim. He will struggle to get his shot off in the NBA at his current level. Thomas, on the other hand, has all the athleticism the NBA loves. But the European leagues are full of human pogo sticks who do nothing but dunk and block shots. You've got to have a jump shot and some ball handling skills. Thomas needs another year (minimum)to work on those phases of his game. Not to mention, he needs about 20-25 pounds of upper body mass so he doesn't get pushed around.

4. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

the idea mold for baby has to be elton brand...one of few players from duke to succeed in the nba...probably the most underrated player in the nba...was in the 280 range in college and has done a real good job of losing weight and improving his all around game....thats what i think anyway....but he needs to stay at least one more year I believe.

5. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I agree with Victory4LSU on this one. Big Baby is not ready for the NBA. He's too short to play center and 4's in the NBA are much more athletic than Baby is. He is a good college player right now. Tyrus has the ability to go into the league right now. Would he play? Who knows. He is the hot commodity. It doesnt matter if he is really ready to come out or not. He can jump through the ceiling. He plays above the rim. The difference between TT and Brandon Bass in terms of the draft and playing time is that Bass was drafted early second round. He had a few good work outs for Byron Scott and was convinced that he was ready. We all knew that he really had no shot to be a major player anywhere. If Tyrus goes number 1, he will be expected to contribute early. He will go to a bad team and will get a shot. Oh, and lets not forget the $$$$$. He does not have the ball handling skills or a solid jump shot yet, but do you think the NBA cares???

6. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

"Ugly Duck" is not going to be a top 4 pick. He's lucky if he's even taken in the lottery. The guy has been a great college player, but it is very doubtful he'll be taken before the mid 1st round

7. Cajun J

Cajun J Founding Member

Yao Ming is Chink.....not a Jap......ya mook.

8. Ryan

Ryan Founding Member

NBA Basketball is not simply a step up in competition. It is an entirely different brand of basketball. Glen can't play center because he doesn't have the height. He'd be giving about 4-6 inches every night against guys who are just as skilled as he is. You can't put him at power forward because the NBA's power forwards nowadays are all such versatile athletes that they can play facing the basket. Glen I'm sure has never had to guard a guy who's his height with slasher skills. It's already been mentioned but the number one reason, the NBA is different is because the game is played above the rim. Think of it this way- Could Glen consistently get a shot off against for example David West with Tyrus Thomas lurking somewhere in the paint. I just don't think so, in fact I know so because I've seen them play against each other at the rec. Tyrus once actually caught one of Glen's hook shot attempts. There's a place for Glen in the NBA, I don't think anyone will doubt that. But there's no place in any starting line-up for him. I sincerely hope I'm wrong because Glen's quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite Tigers, but I just don't see how he could guard guys like Kenyon Martin and Kevin Garnett night in and night out.

9. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Back to the original topic...Next year, if everyone comes back, I think we will be preseason 5-10. I think UNC, Kansas, Uconn (if most come back), and Ohio State will be ahead of us. Of course it really doesnt matter. We will be extrememly fun to watch.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Money is the reason 99% of them enter the draft early, having to attend school the other 1%. And I don't think either of these guys will go to the draft unless they project as high, high 1st round picks because that is where the money is. No, Bass didn't get millions to sit on the bench, if he did then I'd say he made the right choice in going to the NBA. He's making around the league minimum, which could/would have been much more if he had stayed one or two more years.

Emphasizing only his lack of height and jumpuing ability is selling Glen's talents way too short. And I'd also be willing to bet that he has beaten Tyrus many more times that Tyrus has beaten him in their one on one matchups over the years. Davis gets great positioning, uses his body deftly and is much more polished around the goal than you are giving him credit for. He'll get some shots blocked if he goes to the NBA, but name a player that hasn't. His will, grit, determination, talent, and size will work in his favor at that level.