08 Recruits that will make an impact

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by CParso, Sep 25, 2007.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

as Freshmen?

LSU currently has 17 commits (counting D. Benton), plus several other guys that are "probables", and we can even through a few possibles in there as well.

Things to keep in mind - LSU loses it's top 2 CB's, 2 outside LB's, a safety, a DT & DE, a FB/RB, 1 WR, and one OLine.

My guess is the following players do not redshirt: Ryan Baker, Ryan St. Julien, and Deangelo Peterson, DeAngelo Benton, Thomas Parsons, Kellen Theriot, and Brandon Taylor.

DeAngelo Benton is our only current commit I see making an immediate impact in his freshman year.

Other recruits that could make immediate impact include Agheyere - DE (I think he's more polished than Clement), Brandon Thompson - DT (get into the rotation with Nevis), and Julio Jones at WR. Unfortunately, we're probably long shots for these guys.

Overall, I don't see this class making a big impact as freshmen, but that is more because of the depth that we've built up than anything.

2. Lprimo

Lprimo Pimpin Aint Easy

I see DeAndre Brown making a start at 2nd string WR once Doucet is gone. And Lafell, and Toliver get the starts at 1st string.
    I also see Brandon Thompson rotating in at DT as a freshman. These guys aren't a lock for LSU, but are more like 60/40 LSU.
    My Dark horse, that would see playing time his freshman year is T.J. Bryant.

3. Lprimo

Lprimo Pimpin Aint Easy

And as for long shots, that would see playing time in some fashion. the obvious Darrell Scott, and J.Jones.
    And I'm not sure if Sausan Shakerin is serious about LSU, but he'd make a great Jacob Hester. Blocking and running out of the pistol formation.

4. Potted Plant

Potted Plant Founding Member

I don't see any of the commits, with the exception of Benton, who will come in and be immediate contributors. It may happen, but I don't see it with any of the current crop. You never know, exactly, but there's no one on the list so far who stands out at youas a can't-keep-him-off-the-field guy.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

They won't be freshmen, but if we get any of the El Camino JUCO guys in this class they will likely make immediate impacts as well.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Also, TJ and/or Derrick Bryant could get some playing time at CB.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

We'll come back to this after national signing day, but since Patrick Johnson wasn't an LSU commit at the time this thread came along I thought I'd throw his name out there.

He will make an immediate impact next year. Ryan Baker & DeAngelo Benton are the only 2 other players I see making the 2-deep.

8. clair

clair Rockets

Les Miles has "freshman" camp and "upperclass" camp in the fall.

Chad Jones set a record by working with the freshmen for only 3 days this past fall.

I'd say Patrick Johnson will obliterate that this fall.

9. tboy

tboy Founding Member

I think you are correct that he will be with the upperclass camp, but it is hard to obliterate 3 days. Even if he leaves after one day or just goes straight to upperclass camp I don't know if he is obliterating the mark set by Jones. I believe he is enrolling early so that would bode well for early playing time though.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

With a full spring under his belt, Patrick Johnson should battle for a starting CB spot in the fall. C. Tolliver or D. Benton (if he gets here) could contend for a spot in the WR rotation. None of the '06 class of WR's has shown any consistency, so there's room for a 4th WR behind LaFell, Byrd and T. Toliver. We're thin at LB, maybe Ryan Baker will get a chance. And the fact that 3 out of 10 players in our 2-deep offensive line this year were converted defensive linemen tells me they're not happy with the o'linemen we're pulling in over the last 2 years. If there's a real blocker in this year's group, there could be an opportunity.