10-2 and my thoughts on the future

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sugarlsu, Nov 28, 2010.

1. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

• I am concerned about our defense which seemed to fall apart toward the end of the season. It hurt to see Arkansas gashing us for 10 yards a pop quite a few times, and this wasn't the first time that happened. Maybe the offenses are just that sophisticated, but when our vaunted defense met a vaunted offense (or a mobile qb), we didn't have the upper-hand.
    • I feel like Jefferson made some solid progress toward the end of the season and Lee wasn't given enough chance to shine, so maybe the QB situation isn't as bleak as it seems (wonder if Lee will stick it out or if Mettenburger will come and if he does will he succeed). Jefferson was getting rid of the ball much quicker toward the end of the season. Our defense played a big role in the Arkansas loss, but not scoring with the ball at Arkansas' 10 yard line hurts.
    • We could sure use a qb coach, and I would be very excited if we could make a splash on the OC front. I think Crowton has had his hands tied as an OC, but his QB coaching is probably the culprit. Turning in a bottom tier offense for multiple years is unacceptable in my mind and someone needs to be held accountable. While we're at it, the OL coaching seemed improved but not stellar. We did have a 1000 yard rusher, though.
    • Getting 10 wins out of this team seems pretty impressive considering the motley crew we've assembled, but in giving Miles credit for overcoming our woes you have to recognize that he is also ultimately responsible for our woes. Can we expect better than scraping by on a yearly basis? Comfortable wins are getting really hard to come by and at least some of that is due to squandered talent, I have to think. Of course, not on the level of Mack Brown's Texas, but it's hard not to have lingering doubts about Miles' ability to dominate a football game.
    • Whatever Miles brings to the table Xs and Os-wise, I have to give the man credit for his seeming wealth of character. The players like him, his coaches seem to like him, we haven't had terrifying reports of lack of institutional control or outbreaks of super-bad behaviour. He has a good knack for calling trick plays, special teams have been pretty solid under the guy, he hired Chavis (leading us back to nationally recognized defenses). There is a lot to like about Miles.
    All in all, a 10-2 season is nothing to sneeze at, and I think Miles finally knocked the Saban cloud off his shoulders. Now I'm left to wonder if we can put together another strong win at the SECC and NC. Since Miles first NC we've been cobbling together a great number of wins, but they are cobbled together and are still a bit wobbly. We could definitely be in a worse position, but eeking out wins along with some serious coaching blunders and a steady missuse of the clock isn't overly inspiring. Maybe I'm overly critical, but that is part of the fun of it all for me. Hope we get a good bowl and a strong performance leading up to a satisfying recruiting class.

1 person likes this.
  3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Best thread of the season. Congrats to all the level headed responses. Thanks to the OP for sheding the light so many needed to see.

4. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

10-2 blew away my expectations on the year and the loses were on the road in a tough SEC west division to teams that had excellent QBs. Well done LSU Fighting Tigers.

5. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

Some great, realistic posts from Tiger fans on this thread. Of course, I think they are great because I agree.

I believe that everyone else in the the SEC west will have a new QB except for Miss St. Plus we can burst onto the scene by beating Oregon on national TV at the start of next season. Future looks bright IMO.

6. MBTigah

MBTigah Myrtle Beach Tiger Fan

I think I would have to agree with your post. I would simply add that I think we need to look at our coaching on the offensive side of the ball. Other than that, well stated.

7. whodatnot

whodatnot I'm taking the day off

I agree with the status quo here, but just remember if CLM doesn't get a quality QB coach on staff for next year, don't expect the QB play to improve very much. It's very frustrating as a long time fan to know we should be in that title game with an slightly smarter QB.

8. Pintoracer

Pintoracer Somewhere in The Matrix

Great thread! We all pretty much have to admit that the SEC west was a beast this year. Great quality of the teams. To do as well as they have this season, speaks volumes for CLM and the job he did this season. We are a QB and OC away from another NC. Can't wait for next season.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think we did pretty damn good this year for having glaring weak links all over the field. This could be Miles best coaching job since he arrived in Baton Rouge. The complete lack of a quarterback, and youth on defense, and we still win 10 games.

10. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

The future is very bright at LSU. In terms of pure talent, LSU might have more than anyone else out there. The thing is we have to get back to coaching kids up. Players always improved year to year, we dont see that nearly as much the last three years. The OL especially needs improvement. The D needs to be taught proper tackling, if they tackle better LSU is a very dominant D. LSU also needs to focus on not committing so many stupid, drive killing penalties. Once again, especially the OL.

The biggest thing is the play calling though. Plain and simple, you have to coach to win. JJ and Lee arent big time QBs but you still have to let them throw down the field. If not you wont run the ball because the D will crowd the line. You wont break any slants or screens because the D is all over the play.