Environment $1000 Fine For Taking Pics in National Forest

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Sep 25, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I want my cut. If I help pay for those parks and someone personally profits off it, I want my cut or the pics for free.

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Then give me some of the cut from your job. You use the roads I pay for.

[​IMG]

Bengal B likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You get it everyday when I grace you with my words of wisdom. ;)

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Commercial use of public lands always requires a permit and a fee. Commercial use of restricted public wilderness requires a more strict permit that insures that the wilderness is protected from vehicles, aircraft, heavy equipment, and other useun appropriate to a wilderness area. They also require higher fees to limit that kind of use and to enforce it in remote areas.

What double tax? The wilderness areas are for the citizens, not for commercial interests to exploit. Fees are not taxes, they are part of doing business. Everybody must pay a fee to go to most national parks. Penalties are not taxes either. They only apply to people who failed to get a proper permit.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If somebody wants to bring vehicles, heavy equipment, planes and a large crew to a public wilderness area they should of course be required to pay for it. But a lone photographer or a small group carrying only gear that they can carry in a backpack shouldn't be charged even if they do sell the pictures.

What if I go to a park and shoot a bunch of pictures just for fun. I show them to my neighbor who happens to work for an advertising agency. He tells me "Hey, that one is great. We can use it for the magazine ad we are doing. My company will even pay you for it." I say "Great" and we settle on $500. The Parks Service eventually finds out about it. Should they be able to come back and fine me $1000?

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Fee levels are subject to debate. Wilderness permits are not. Even hikers and backpackers must have permits and pay some fees. Despite the hysterical nature of that article, only COMMERCIAL INTERESTS have to pay commercial fees. Not the intended users of the wilderness.

That would hardly make you a commercial photographer would it? The rangers know the difference. The permits help them understand who is who.