#11 in Coaches Poll

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Oct 31, 2010.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

As I suspected, we moved up to #10 in BCS. Bama, based on rep/expectation, moved up to #6 (in reality we both moved up 2 spots appropriately). We beat Bama this week, and we get the respect many here have been seeking, and we become a top 5 team. Bama beats AUB, which is very do-able, and suddenly we are top 3. Things can change quickly when you keep your head up, take care of business, and focus on what is important. CLM does this, and does not get all riled up like fans complaining on a message board. Gotta stay focused on the prize at the end, and look past how attractive the path is on the way.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

The BCS formula does not reward "rep".

3. ParadiseiNC

that is why I made the statement in parentheses. if you read the espn headlines, "Bama is the big winner" in a bye week, you will understand my sentiment. in reality, though, they only moved up two spots like us, so much for being the big winner. it was a tongue in cheek comment about the national schlong-fest for Bama.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

two-thirds of the bcs formula is human votes.
    reputation means something to them.

5. ParadiseiNC

that is exactly right, and is why Oregon overtook AUB. they both won against formidable opponents, and both scored in the 50s. humans liked what they saw more by Oregon over the "mighty" USC, than Auburn over pathetic Ole Piss. computers did not push Oregon up that much higher to overtake AUB in just one week with essentially equivalent wins.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

usc is 5-3
    ole piss is 3-5 (with losses to a 2-6 vandy team, and a 1AA team)

7. ParadiseiNC

good points. still a little surprising that in one week, oregon overtook auburn. maybe its the records of their opponents, maybe its perception. who knows?

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

just looked at the numbers.

Auburn actually closed the gap (slightly) in the human polls.

Where Oregon caught them was in the computers.
    Auburn was #1 in computers and still hold that spot.
    Oregon was behind Mich St and Mizzou (who both lost) and TCU and Boise (who slid back because of weak competition).

Oregon closing the gap in the computer brought their average up enough to pass them in the overall BCS standings.

9. ParadiseiNC

gotcha. i really hadn't looked at it in detail, just looked at the overall rankings listed. i was surprised to see oregon overtake AUB in the bcs to be honest. but what you describe makes sense. perceptions and biases definitely still play a role in the bcs formula, though, even if this circumstance is more computer based. as i was looking up the bcs rankings for the week, the first headline i read was how bama was the big winner, which is why i posted the comment i did, b/c in reality they just moved up 2 spots like us, and several other teams.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Rlly?

So you think they base their votes on reputation?