#11 in Coaches Poll

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Oct 31, 2010.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I would love to see that but I guess, as red pointed out, it's hard to assign "equal" weights to ensure TRUE validity and maybe the "half & half" formula would be a good compromise.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

i don't which ones, or even how it's done, but i think that 4 of the 6 computers do look at strength of schedule in some form.

i agree we need a little of both.

the computers love LSU right (#6) now because we're 7-1 with a pretty tough schedule so far.
    the people don't like us as much (#11/12) because we haven't looked real smooth getting to this point.

so the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle.
    giving too much weight to one part either way skews the polls IMO.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Here is the crazy BCS scenario that could hypothetically work itself out.

Utah beats TCU this weekend
    Utah loses to either Notre Dame or San Diego Sate on the road either of the next 2 weekends (the whole can't stand prosperity thing)
    Boise State loses to #23 Nevada on the road in late November
    Oregon loses to Oregon State on the last week of the season
    Auburn loses to Alabama and then loses in the SEC CG (I do believe they will have to lose twice to be ranked behind LSU)

LSU wins out, doesn't even win the West, and plays for the National Championship

LSU vs Oklahoma/Nebraska Big 12 Champion

I didn't even toy with the possibility that both Oklahoma and Nebraska end the season with 2 losses, which is definitely possible, so there are other options to consider here if one of the things above doesn't pan out

4. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Good grief, advanced physics is less complicated.

#5 Bama wins out and thus wins it all. Simple is better.

5. islstl

Yes you have the simpler road.

6. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

not necessarily. a late season loss always has a more dramatic effect and is harder to recover from.

To keep it simple, if LSU wins out and Bama beats AUB, I like our chances of ending up in the top 3, and possibly a shot at the NC game.

7. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

well, since this is an LSU forum and we are speculating about the Tigers winning out, it by definition means ALA does not. I like our speculation better, and it is really just as simple: Tigers win out, and you guys beats AUB (only difference from your scenario is you lose to us:).

8. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Thanks for the reminder. Never the less, Bama, by far, has the easier road to the big NC game. Bama wins, they're in.

Your scenario, two moves, might get you to Atlanta. From there, it may be advanced physics.

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Unfortunately I agree with this statement. The stage is already being set that Bama, even with a loss, is better than a few of the undefeateds. It is almost a forgone conclusion to some of the so called experts that Bama will run the table thru the end of the season. Dismissing AU and LSU as even real potentials. Meaning that if it is LSU that runs the tables we may need further assistance to get to the MNC, whereas Bama may not.

10. islstl

Trust me, Auburn losing only 1 game keeps them ahead of LSU, unless it's a stinker against an inferior opponent.