11th game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 00Tiger, Jan 17, 2005.

1. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Though I know many on here would not agree, I would tell every school in D1 that we need a game and if anyone big-time offers, we take it.

I think next year's team could take almost anyone on a good day.

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Scheduling those cool out of conference games will be so much easier after this season.

For one, it looks like the NCAA will allow teams to go to 12 games per year starting as soon as 2006.

Also, LSU's in a tough place schedule-wise because they play 8 conference games per year (4 home, 4 away) and need to have 7 of their 11 games each year to be at home for budgetary purposes. Do the math and you can see that nearly every year, all 3 non-conference games need to be in Baton Rouge.

A big reason for the 7 home game minimum is the revenue generated by a home game (approx. $1 mil per game, I believe). The Stadium Club and related renovations and miscellaneous corporate sponsorships will bring additional revenue online, which would make scheduling a home and home series more realistic. (I'm admittedly a little out of my depth on stadium issues, but I believe this is more or less the case.)

Unless I'm missing something, the biggest and best non-conference game of the year next year will be Texas at Ohio St. On paper, right now, that looks like a possible early-season Rose Bowl elimination match.