$15 Per Hour Minimum Wage

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by HalloweenRun, Jul 23, 2015.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Pell grants are a joke. Isn't the max benefit like $5,000? What is that supposed to cover? The average tuition alone at state schools is like $9,000 for in-state residents.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yep, just sent one off to college, not a very high dollar one either. They gave him enough to cover about half a semester.

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I got nothing, and I got a wife that works at credit union and sees the grant checks month after month, going for cash. Yeah!

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Doesn't the amount of the Pell Grant depend upon the student's parent's income?

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

That is why he used his dads income which isn't much at all

6. MLUTiger

When did you go to college? I'm assuming not recently?

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I always thought Pell grants didn't nearly cover all the expenses but last night while eating dinner I overhead a guy at the next table who looked about mid 30ish tell somebody that his parents had had a college fund for him. When he found out he could get a Pell grant he had his tuition paid and he took the college fund and bought a 4 plex. Gave him a place to live as well as over $1000 a month for the 15 years he owned the building. I don't know what he majored in but now he earns his living buying rental properties.

The point is that Pell grants must have been more adequate for college expenses a few years ago than they are now.

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Sorry, not clear, I got nothing for my daughters, both attended in last seven years. I got paid to go to college!

MLUTiger likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If I didn't know you went to the Academy I would think you played football for Alabama.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  10. MLUTiger

College tuition is a joke now. Once upon a time you could make enough money working and still attend college full time. Today, that's not the case unless you have a very good paying job. If you have a good playing job today that could pay for college, chances are you;re not going to attend college. Pell Grants are tiny by comparison to college costs. The average student goes into debt at least 30k just to graduation with a BS. Somehow, we have turned getting a good education into a money-making scheme for for-profit companies and it's shameful. Unless your family is wealthy, your three options are to go into debt before you even get a job to pay off the debt, join the military and fight for Exxon, Haliburton, etc. or just don't go to college.

There are a few really good paying jobs out there that don't require a degree, but not many, Commercial Pilot, ATC, Aircraft Dispatcher, Dental Hygenist, etc. are just a few that I'm aware of off the top of my head..

HalloweenRun likes this.