18 Children Dead From Reports

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Dec 14, 2012.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The idea is not give the impression to future kooks that they can go down in history by being more heinous than the last kook.

2. red55

Not releasing the name of a fame-seeking mass killer does not keep the news itself from being reported. It just prevents the personal notoriety that the perp seeks. Maybe save some children down the road. You got some kind of problem with that?

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Pay per view with the proceeds going to the families.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

It simply isn't possible to keep that news quiet, nor should anyone ever try to enforce such a rule. I agree with the sentiment, but you can't suppress info like that, it doesn't work and isn't possible.

5. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Go down in history? Hardly. Is there some kind of psycho killer top ten list that is common knowledge? Not that I'm aware of. Maybe they are competing for a special place in Hell, but if they don't survive what use is the notoriety?

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Most people won't hear about the guy in China who went on a stabbing spree TODAY and stabbed 22 people.

http://www.indiatvnews.com/crime/news/-school-students-stabbed-in-china-2179.html

7. red55

Perhaps, but its a cheap deterrent if it only stops the initial hysterical overreporting and makes the nutjob a footnote to history.

So what can be done to protect schools? We are going to hear a lot of ideas, none of them ideal.

Gun Control -- Not much more we can do here except enforce the laws already on the books and really step up the background checks to help keep guns out of the hands of kooks.

Kook Control -- martin will scream Big Brother, but we have to identify and keep an better eye on our lunatics. Most of them are fine if they are on their meds. It should be impossible for a lunatic to buy or possess a weapon.

Enhanced Security -- People shouldn't be able to just walk into a school with weapons. I hate the oppressive security measures that it would take to do this, our schools would soon look like jails. It diverts much cash away from education, too. But what else can you do?

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

Yeah, my impression of the world is that some sort of slaughter happens every day

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

I don't think you can do anything, occasional slaughter of innocents by lunatics is a normal consequence of human nature. We just cross our fingers and hope it never hurts us. The odds are far greater that we will die in car wreck or from obesity or something else random like cancer

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I'm in the news business. I could be down with Red's suggestion, but it would only take one reporter with too much ego to screw it up. The competition to be first with the story and to have something no other source has is too great.