18 Jersey

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JohnLSU, Dec 29, 2009.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Very young team, although yes maybe the worse ever. I think he gets one more season to see what he can do with a very young but semi talented group.

2. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Not having Turner today was a big loss. But as far as the future of our team:

Stringer: Pretty much is what he is. I think he can improve his mid-range game and ball handling, but he will always be 5'9" and have trouble getting his shot off. He can learn to take better shots and be more efficient, but not necessarily increase his Pts/gm.

Turner: Has some serious potential. I think he can be an 18-19pts/gm caliber of scorer.

Derenbecker: Can be an effective scorer if he plays within the offense.

I think the key to improving next year will be whether or not O'Bryant and Hamilton provide a significant improvement inside. Green is playing well, but most of his points come from jumpshots. We need a true inside presence.

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

You may be right, though the 2007-2008 team was also brutal. 1-6 in SEC play and 8-13 overall before Brady got the axe. Also I feel like last year's squad had even less talent, as evidenced by a non-scholly guy like Populist getting significant minutes. This year's squad has already matched last year's in-conference win total through 4 games, though a watered-down SEC has certainly helped aid that.

It's bad right now, but I don't think it's bad enough to fire the coach. Especially not with a big time talent coming in next year and the Iowa State transfer ready to go. It's about depth with Trent Johnson, not high-ceiling talent. There will be no instant fixes, it's a process that won't always be fun to endure. We're not gonna bring in the DeMarcus Cousins or John Wall type recruits. It's just not going to happen here. You have to be patient and solidify the foundation to win at a football school like LSU.

We knew this year was going to be a long one, no sense in derailing the program three years into Johnson's tenure. If the team is still struggling to this degree next season, then yeah that seat should get pretty damn hot. But for now, we just need to accept that this team is limited in experience and upside and that it will be forced to take many lumps while it waits for reinforcements.

4. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

No way Stringer is 5'9 more like 5'6 and he is'nt very quick either. Hope I am wrong but I think he is too small to be an effective sec player.

I agree on Turner.

I think Derenbecker has got a chance to develop into a nice college player.

5. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I don't think he's that short, but either way, he has trouble getting his shot off.

6. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

Who would you hire to replace him?

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No patience. You have to give a coach time to build a team. It's why they sign 5-year contracts. Trent Johnson will be here for 5.

8. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

I agree. The NBA is the worst thing that ever happened to college BB. I don't know how these coaches deal with the player turnover they see.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

But at least he's better than Brady.

Right?

10. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

We still have a basketball team?