18 year old sues Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart for Age Discrimination

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by watson1880, Mar 6, 2018.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So if you aren’t old enough to make responsible choices with money alcohol or firearms, how can you old enough to make a responsible decision to sign your life away to the military. This is interesting. And while we are at it, since you can basically choose your profession at 18, why can’t you choose professional sports as your profession without going to college first. And if you go pro why can’t your major be football or baseball? Stoney moments.

KyleK likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In baseball you can be drafted right out of high school. In basketball if you don't want to go to college for a year you could play for a foreign team and make some money. Football is a different game. There are almost no football players who are ready for the physical demands of professional football as an 18 year old. Leonard Fournette might have been able to deal with it but he wouldn't have been any more developed than he was as a true freshman at LSU.

For many players their real major and purpose for being in college is to get ready for pro sports. The reality is that only a small percentage make it and the rest will have to get real jobs. It would be a disservice to the majority of them to not at least give them the opportunity to prepare for life after sports. With all the academic resources and free tutoring available to athletes at a big time program like LSU a person would have to be pretty stupid or just plain lazy not to at least make good enough grades to remain eligible. Yet every year there are academic casualties keeping players off the fields and courts.

3. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Yes.

4. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I think the interesting thing here will be to see how the USSC decides the gay wedding cake dispute. If they say that the Cake shop has to sell to all, then Dicks should also be made to sell to all. If they say the shop doesn't have to, then Dicks *may* have a way out.

Winston1 and HalloweenRun like this.
  5. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

I agree with you, but let's face it when you are between 17 and 20 you are invincible so they make generally the most fearless joes. As you get older, you get married have children and start realizing you could die.
    That same attribute is also more dangerous when it comes to booze and cars. I not certain that it pertains to guns in the same way though.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Because when you "sign your life away to the military", part of the transition to becoming a soldier, sailor, etc is the training process that, above all else, instills discipline. My brother was an undisciplined shithead until he joined the Marines. They turned him into a responsible adult.

HalloweenRun and Winston1 like this.
  7. LaSalleAve

That still would not be able to purchase alcohol, gamble, or buy a firearm at dicks or walmart

8. mctiger

1 dead, 1 injured in an "accidental" shooting in Birmingham, AL http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2018/03/1_dead_2_more_injured_in_accid.html
    (smh) dumbass

9. mctiger

Wasn't addressing that, but I would have no problem with a "common sense" amendment that waives age requirements on certain activities for members of the military.

True story: shortly after my brother finished USMC boot camp, some friends invited us for a night at a comedy club in BR. When we got to the door, my brother got carded and denied. We made the same, "wow, he can defend our country but he can't go in a comedy club?" argument, but no joy. We were headed for the parking lot when one of our friends called us back and said she had called the manager. This guy took one look at my brother (who was about 6'2 and carried himself like a Marine should), shook his head and said, "let him in."

10. LaSalleAve

Look at muh dubble burrel twalve gauge shotgun Cletus, it’s got a dad gum airbrushed picutre of the one and a only William Paul Bear Bryant raght thur on the barrul. Sis says it tickles a little and it’s nice knowun tha Bear is touchin her thar. Row Tide

BAY0U BENGAL and mctiger like this.