2 rules questions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, Oct 31, 2009.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

From the Cecilia Northside game last night.

1. Cecilia punted and the ball struck the NS punt returner in the knee at about the Northside 15. The ball rolled to the one and the NS player touched the ball trying to pick it up. A Cecilia player hit him and the ball rolled into the endzone and Cecilia recovered. Ref ruled a touchback and gave NS the ball at the 20. :confused:

2. With 3 seconds left and Northside up 7-6, Cecilia attempted a 40 yard field goal which was blocked and the ball ended up at the the NS 5. Northside ran off the field celebrating their district clinching win. A Cecilia player picked up the ball and rant it into the endzone and the official ruled Touchdown Cecilia. Cecilia players dogpiled in the endzdone while the officials huddled. They ruled inadvertant whistle and played the down over. No one heard a whistle. Cecilia faked a FG and the receiver got tackled at the ONE INCH line. TV didn't have a good angle but it looked like he was 2 yards into the endzone. My question is without the phantom inadvertant whistle would the FG play (not the fake) be TD or game over?

Finally, not a question but a statement about how badly Cecilia got dogged last night, NS had 1st and 10 at their own 1 yard line. The running back got stuffed 2 or 3 yards into the end zone. He fought to move forward but he was, literally, stood up by 4 or 5 defenders. No whistle. Eventually the pack moved forward (for NS) and the ref whistled the play dead. I'd estimate 10-12 seconds from 1st contact to whistle. NS got 2nd an 7 at the 3.

1 person likes this.
  2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i would think the 1st is a TD and the 2nd not (i dont think the kick attempting team can advance the recovered fumble there. only if they recover it behind the los.)

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

sounds like a bad call.
    unless the player who reovered it was also out of bounds, then right call.

it would have been game over.
    once ball crosses LOS, it has to be touched by defense before the kicking team can recover it.

Never heard of a Re-Do like that, but sounds like the end result was the same either way (at least on that play).

4. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Well. Since the LHSAA charges for their rule book and you have to get it mailed to you...

I'm no help.

5. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I'm not intimately familiar with LHSAA rules, but assuming they're based largely on NCAA rules, that should be a Cecilia TD.

We saw this with the Iowa/NIU game in Week 1. I think the college rule is if the ball doesn't cross the line of scrimmage on the blocked FG, the ball is live and can be recovered by either team. If this was the case, Cecilia scored a legit TD. If the ball crosses the LOS on the block, the ball is dead and the D recovers. The issue may have been whether the blocked ball crossed the LOS. Sounds like they initially ruled it didn't, but then realized they screwed up and called for a do-over.

6. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

This seems to be an officiating trend that they absolutely hate to call safeties and are extremely generous with forward progress. This is an extreme example, and illustrates something that I hate about NFL officiating. They are often late to blow a play dead on forward progress. The end result is that on gang tackles, they no longer try to tackle the player. Instead they intentionally stand them up and try to rip the ball out for a fumble. Those plays should be blown dead.

7. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

The only way it would be NS ball is if they recovered the ball. Otherwise, this is a muffed punt. With the NS player trying to pick it up and Cecilia actually recovering the ball, it would be Cecilia's ball at the one where NS tried to pick it up. Recovering teams cannot advance a muff. Some might even say it goes back to the site of the muff. But no way it is NS ball unless the refs are ruling that NS recovered the ball in the endzone.

The refs had their hands full with questionable calls. I think the rule is that if NS blocked the field goal and the ball crosses the line of scrimmage and is not then touched by NS, it is not Cecilia's ball. If it is touched down field (as if NS was trying to pick it up and return it) then Cecilia can recover but not advance the ball. If the ball does not cross the line of scrimmage from the block, Cecilia can recover and advance the ball.

Now for the inadvertent whistle, the play is supposed to be ruled dead at the time of the whistle and whoever has the ball at that time keeps it. No do overs.

8. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Cant add to the answers given but most high school athletic associations belong to the National Federation of High School Athletic Associations. I believe they also charge for a rule book but their rules are what govern high school football in Louisiana. May want to try and look it up on their site.

9. stegaman

stegaman Founding Member

I thought that in high school, once the ball crossed the goal line, it was automatically a touchback. It didn't matter if someone had touched it before hand or not. On kickoffs, if a player caught the ball in the endzone, he couldn't bring it out because it was automatically ruled a touchback. Thats what I thought the rule was, but I could be wrong.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Could be. I don't know. I thought if Cecilia recovered in the endzone, which they did, in bounds, it would be a safety. But since NS never had possession, it would be a TD.

On the other one, I think most of you are correct that, since the ball was over the LOS it could not be advanced. If Cecilia had been given the TD, NS would be the team getting jobbed whether on the initial play or the do over.